7 months ago
Systems Engineer - Unix VMware
Post Begin Date
Important Job Details
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
* Effectively applies knowledge and skills of software development and testing to solve a range of problems.
* Partners with other Technology Teammembers to provide advice or solutions within his or her area of expertise.
* Keeps informed about current developments within his or her area of expertise.
* Proactively identifies problems, performs root cause analysis, investigates information, performs impact analysis; formulates and executes plans to develop solutions.
* Identifies strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
* Understands and can estimate effort and value for solutions
* Understands at a broad level how technology platforms/architectures are applied to automated business solutions.
Systems Development Engineering:
* Facilitate or complete Analysis, design, and programming of viable solutions to high complexity business problems according to user specifications.
* Develop or approve detail program specifications.
* Partner with Enterprise Architecture to evaluate and recommend emerging technologies, and influence technical designs.
Testing / Deliverable Quality:
* Participate in system and acceptance testing.
* Ensure that systems are functionally appropriate, technically sound, and well integrated.
* Test and implement system and enhancements using techniques that preserve system integrity.
* Responsible for immediate response to production program issues.
* Sets up or follows established procedures and standards to ensure high quality and quantity of work.
* Understand dependency identification processes in technology work, verifies information and carefully reviews and checks the accuracy of own work.
* Establishes or follows prioritization processes to drive work and has a sense of urgency about getting work completed.
* Looks for and seizes opportunities to do more or to do things better.
* Analyze and resolve multiple complex problems without direction.
* Research and recommend alternative actions for problem resolution.
* Employ productivity aids in all aspects of assignments.
* Highly organized and self-directed.
* Appropriately shares ideas and information with others.
* Practices attentive and active listening.
* Ensures that regular and consistent communications take place.
* Expresses ideas clearly and concisely in writing.
* Expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others.
Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
May perform other job duties as directed by Employee’s Leaders.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
* BS, Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Systems, or equivalent formal training preferred.
* Minimum of 2 years work experience as a Software Engineer or equivalent role required.
* At least 4 years experience with Red Hat Linux preferred
* At least 4 years experience with Oracle/SUN Solaris preferred.
* At least 4 years experience with VMware ESX preferred.
* At least 4 years experience with Development/scripting preferred.
* At least 4 years experience DNS administration preferred.
* Strong Knowledge of SOX and PCI compliance preferred
* Strong understanding of security within a UNIX environment preferred
* Familiarity with configuration management platforms (CHEF preferred)
* May be asked on occasions to lift and/or pull weights loads of approx. 20 lbs. on a periodic basis.
* May require extended work hours per Leaders' request.
* May be asked to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop on a periodic basis.
* Proficient knowledge of software development, practice, concepts, and technology obtained through formal training and / or work experience.
* Proficient knowledge of at least one required programming language.
* Excellent partnering, communication, and negotiation skills in working with various Technology or partner Teams.
* Able to analyze small to medium and vague Business or technical problems, articulating the problem or root cause, and translating the analysis into viable solution recommendations.
* Able to work effectively in a strong Customer service / team oriented environment.
* Able to take on multiple assignments, whether administrative or project related, while maintaining a successful level of completion in all responsible work.
* Able to prioritize effectively.
* Able to develop, present and effectively communicate ideas and strategies to a variety of audiences.
* Able to teach and mentor others concerning technical and business subjects.
* Able to manage ambiguity in a positive manner.
* Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
* Limited travel with potential for increased/decreased travel based upon Technology Department needs.
Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Refer a FriendRefer
Share on your newsfeed
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us through our Talent Communities.
Interested in this career opportunity?
Go back to the welcome page
Software Powered by iCIMS