6 months ago
This is a Senior-level airframe design position in the Aerostructures Engineering Organization. Under the general direction of Engineering management, serve as a Senior-level member of the airframe design team providing conceptual and detail designs of primary and secondary structural aircraft components. General responsibilities include leading and coordinating the design activities of a team of 5-15 engineers within an assigned project. Establish and communicate clear task expectations. Primary product lines for design activities will be unmanned aerial vehicles, modification of existing aircraft structures, fixed and rotary wing, and design-to-build activities for commercial and military aircraft including composite and metallic primary and secondary structure, mechanical system components/routings and electrical/avionics systems component installations.
* Able to self-prioritize tasks. Works under general direction
* Produce airframe structural configuration layouts and detail designs including preliminary sizing, joint layouts, interface boundary definitions of parts and assemblies employing metallic and composite materials.
* Create and maintain CAD solid models and drawings of installations, assembly and detail components that meet all requirements such as structural integrity, interface boundaries, weight and cost targets as directed by the project engineer.
* Periodically review and check the product structure and BOM’s of the team to insure fit, form, function of the structural components is maintained.
* Conduct periodic design reviews as required to ensure designs meet the requirements.
* Coordinate and collaborate with members of stress, manufacturing, procurement, quality control and other departments as required to mature the design from conception to production.
* Create and maintain documentation that tracks team weekly progress status as it related to the Program budget and deadlines.
* Prepare PowerPoint presentations to support Program PDRs and CDRs. Provide technical support and mentorship to those less experience members of the team.
* Must be a US Citizen, Green Card Holder or Permanent Resident
* BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, preferred.
* 10+ years’ work experience in the aerospace industry.
* Minimum of 8000 hours experience with CATIA V5 w/ a focus on Generative Surface Design, Part Design and Assembly. Experience in Unigraphics or Siemens NX will be considered based on supporting background.
* Familiar with industry standards for the manufacture, repair and assembly of composite components for aerospace.
* Experience with Smarteam, or other product data management such as Enovia LCA or PDM.
* Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
* Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and written.
* Strong interpersonal skills.
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
* Strong technical background including familiarity with industry standards for the manufacture, repair and assembly of composite components for aerospace.
* Significant experience with engineering and manufacturing development and production of structural parts and assemblies utilizing composite materials.
* Experience with the composite part detail process, including composites stacking sequence, lamination theory, honeycomb core, bonded assemblies, manufacturing assembly and fabrication processes, post-cure machining operations.
* Experience with prototype and/or rate part production with exposure to tool design, manufacturing planning and hands on fabrication.
* Knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5 along with tolerance analysis capabilities.
* Experience in application ASME Y14.41 methods for Model Based Definition using CATIA V5 FTA (Functional Tolerancing and Annotations) is desired.
* Experience with CATIA V5 CPD (Composite Part Design) and/or FiberSIM is desired. Ability to create and maintain parametric product geometry models is desired.
* Experience with FAA qualification activities, designing to appropriate FAR standards and interfacing with DERs is desired.
Aurora Flight Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer