4 months ago
Sr. Research Scientist III
Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
This is an outstanding opportunity for a scientist who will pursue applied research and develop products in the areas of optical systems and atmospheric sensing. The potential areas of research, development, and applications are optical systems, lasers, optical systems design, ray tracing, optical detection, and atmospheric physics.
Honeywell Aerospace is a leading global provider of integrated avionics, engines, systems and service solutions for aircraft manufacturers, airlines, business and general aviation, military, space and airport operations. This scientist will be expected work on a team to develop new concepts, develop intellectual property, write project proposals, assess competitive technologies and products, and develop new technologies for future products. This will include understanding customer requirements, translating those into device and product requirements, performing trade studies, writing research and development proposals, project cost estimating, budgeting, and program management. The scientist must be technically creative, have strong organizational and communication skills, and able to work in a collaborative environment.
YOU MUST HAVE
* Master degree in Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics
* Significant years of directly related experience with systems modeling, optical systems, electro-optics, laser systems, sensor electronics, and/or sensor technology
* Ph.D. in Engineering or Physics and/or Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Materials Engineering degree
* Degree in Physics is acceptable, provided the candidate has a hands-on laboratory background
* Analytical capability to design optical systems using tools such as optical ray tracing/simulation tools: End-to-end optical simulation: Zemax, Ray tracing (free space) or Particle/atmospheric radiative transfer (scattering) modeling
* Knowledge and experience in Python (Object-oriented coding)
* Advanced linear algebra; Least squared fit, Deconvolution, Principal component analysis or Singular-value decomposition
* Experience with laboratory optical systems set up and measurements
* Knowledge and experience in taking optical systems through maturation from concept development to engineering to production
* Knowledge and research experience with LIDAR systems
* Experience and knowledge of atmospheric physics or meteorology
* Experience working in teams of engineers, scientists, or technicians
* Experience in planning, and executing externally-funded proposal activities involving multiple sites and external partners
* Knowledge and experience in developing intellectual property including patents and assessments
* Capable of leading, planning, and executing the development and testing of sensors, including debugging hardware and software desired
* The candidate should have strong communication and presentation skills
* Program management experience of internal and external R&D projects including scheduling, milestone tracking, manpower planning, earned-value measurement, estimating and budgeting
Due to US export control laws, must be a US citizen, permanent resident or have protected status.
Why Our Employees Chose Aerospace
* Some Travel Required
* Continued Professional Development
* 1st Shift
* Job ID: HRD22192
* Category: Technology R&D
* Location: 12001 State Highway 55, Plymouth, MN 55441 USA
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.