11 months ago
Sr. Optical Engineer
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 49468BR Date posted 08/30/City Irvine
Country United States
N2 Imaging Systems, recently acquired by UTC Aerospace Systems (UTAS), is an acknowledged leader in the design and manufacture of compact, low-power, visible and infrared imaging systems used for soldier vision enhancement, targeting, and surveillance during day, night or low-visibility conditions. As a vertically-integrated company, our operations and engineering staff are experienced veterans in providing low-power, lightweight solutions for capturing imagery across the spectrum. Our passion for supporting the Warfighter and their mission demands excellence in everything we do, from the talent we recruit to the highly-engineered systems we deliver. We value people, integrity, ideas and performance.
N2 is currently seeking a highly motivated Sr. Optical Engineer to join our team working in a hands-on, collaborative environment. This position offers a challenging opportunity to design cutting-edge, low-SWAP-C vision systems. Working with a multi-disciplinary technical design team, the successful applicant will drive the design, implementation and testing of military and commercial systems. The selected individual must accept ownership of the product’s design and development, while satisfying the needs and concerns of all stakeholders.
* Work with senior staff in Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Optical Engineering to design and develop high-performance night-vision and other optical systems.
* Design and run performance analysis of systems, including budgeting of system and component performance parameters, modeling of optical test configurations, and participation in system integration/alignment/test.
* Follow-through on a completed design, including generation of drawings, specifications and summary reports.
* Interface with suppliers, customers and members of the UTAS technical design team.
* Work closely with Mechanical Engineering to design and integrate optical systems into ruggedized, lightweight assemblies and products.
* Test support, including writing test procedures, designing test fixtures and performing tests.
* Support formal design reviews and presentations to customers.
* Contribute to proposals and technical leadership on new business opportunities.
* Compliance with budget and schedule is essential.
* US citizenship required.
* 7+ years of relevant industry experience in design and development.
* Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated documentation and organizational skills.
* Design concept skills, including optical requirements flow-down, in support of proposals, product development, presentations and customer reports.
* Well-versed in the use of optical design software, including Zemax or Code V. Experience with LensMechanix, FRED or MATLAB a plus.
* Optical design experience in visible, NIR, SWIR and LWIR spectral bands, including tolerance analysis and design-for-manufacture. Experience with athermalization, stray light analysis/mitigation and opto-mechanical design a plus.
* Experience with qualification testing of optical systems is desirable, including the design of test equipment and automation.
* Experience interfacing/spec-negotiating with optical suppliers. Knowledge of optical manufacturing processes, test methods, specifications and standards (MIL, ISO) a plus.
* Experience with cost account management a plus.
* Ability to obtain a DoD Clearance.
* Ability to adapt in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, with minimal supervision.
* BS/BA required, optical engineering, physics, or directly related field is preferred.
* MS in optical engineering or physics is a plus.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.