about 1 year ago
Senior Embedded Software Design Engineer
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics Corporation, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Senior Embedded Software Design Engineer (Ballard Technology)
Senior Embedded Software Design Engineer
Astronics Ballard Technology (Ballard), located in Everett, WA, is a leader in the design, manufacturing and support of avionics databus interface solutions for commercial and defense applications. Ballard's proven experience in providing products for test and simulation applications has provided a strong foundation for its robust and growing line of rugged embedded interface products. Ballard's proprietary Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) databus solutions are key to the operations and support of a wide range of military and commercial aircraft, including leading fixed-wing, rotary wing, and unmanned systems. Ballard's high standards and consistency in engineering and production, driven by an AS9100 quality management system, have resulted in a long-standing reputation for superior reliability, quality, and service with strong customer relationships.
With a culture that reflects innovation, helpfulness, and balance, Ballard has maintained a long history of profitability and growth, now employing over 65 valued employees.
Designs, develops, tests, and implements software for embedded computer systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Designs, develops, and implements software for embedded systems running operating systems; primarily Linux
* Performs debugging and unit testing of software products
* Analyzes and investigates major software engineering tasks
* Defines design specifications and parameters
* Coordinates with hardware engineers to resolve hardware/software compatibility and interface considerations
* Interfaces with other departments to participate in specification, design, code, and test reviews
* Provides documentation of software products
* Follows and contributes to improvement of the software development process
* Provides timely production support and problem resolution
* Interfaces with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications; provides maintenance information
* Produces timely status reports and projections
* Develops and tracks objectives and schedules
* Prioritizes and manages multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions
* Participates in project planning and management
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
* Experience with development of Linux-based software; kernel module development, application development, customized kernel builds, etc.
* Proficient in developing software in C / C++
* Deep understanding of principles of embedded circuits
* Ability to read and understand electronic circuit schematics
* Ability to participate in design of digital and analog embedded circuits preferred.
* Experience with real-time operating systems
* Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance
* Ability to write clear technical documentation
* Commitment to excellence and high standards
* Acute attention to detail
* Demonstrated ability to plan and organize
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
* Ability to manage priorities and workflow
* Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
* Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
* Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English
1. A Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field and five (5) years of related engineering experience, OR
2. A Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field and three (3) years of related engineering experience.
* Professional Engineer (PE) license
* An Electrical Engineering degree is preferred for this position
Position requires access to controlled technology and information. To abide by Export Compliance Regulations, candidates must have either US Citizenship or US Permanent Resident Alien Status. Must pass a criminal background check prior to starting work.
Astronics Ballard Technology
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.