9 months ago
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It's a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Senior Accountant – Technical Accounting (12 – 18 month term)
As WestJet becomes more complex and dynamic, we are seeking a Senior Accountant reporting into our Finance and Accounting office. This individual has the ability to demonstrate a high standard of excellence, enjoys challenges, and is results-driven. The incumbent must be highly motivated and demonstrate the ability to work in an agile environment.
Reporting to the Leader of External Reporting, the successful candidate will join our fast-paced External Reporting and Internal Controls group in a key technical accounting role with a focus on IFRS 15 and 16 implementation.
* Act as the key driving force in IFRS 16 implementation and assist with the completion of IFRS 15 implementation
* Review of contracts to identify differences in accounting treatments
* Prepare memos on technical accounting issues
* Ensure key judgments, estimates and other relevant matters for accounting standard adoption are documented and reviewed.
* Draft new accounting policies for changes in accounting standards
* Manage and coordinate regular meetings with our external auditors, KPMG. Engaging them early in the process when making decisions on adoption of the policies.
* Identification of stakeholders impacted by the changes in the standards, creation of education and communication plans.
* Manage and coordinate various accountants across finance to assist in education of the new standards, process changes and implementation issues. Will be the WestJet SME on these standards and the primary resource for the Finance organization during the project. Serve as company – wide technical accounting resource.
* Serve as company – wide technical accounting resource
* Assist with the review of quarterly and annual external disclosure documents, as needed
* Accounting Designation required (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA)
* Completion of post-secondary education in Business Administration/Commerce (accounting or Finance) is required
* Minimum 3-5 years post-qualification experience
* Strong technical accounting knowledge in IFRS
* Strong understanding of IFRS 15 and 16 an asset
* Project management skills a plus
* Experience researching complex accounting issues and providing recommendations
* Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
* Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a strong desire for continuous improvement
* Ability to handle pressure and meet tight timelines
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.