9 months ago
Sector Vice President
L3 WESCAM – Burlington ON
About L3 Technologies
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
Organized into four segments – Aerospace Systems, Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Sensor Systems – L3 employs over 38,000 people worldwide with reported 2015 sales of $10.5 billion.
About L3 WESCAM Sector and L3 Sensor Systems Segment
L3 Sensor Systems segment brings together a broad collection of L3 divisions that offers a diverse portfolio of innovative sensor technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space and cyber domains.
Headquartered in Burlington, ON Canada - the L3 WESCAM sector develops the most advanced optical systems for global defense / military markets as well as National Security agencies, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. These systems provide stabilized, high-magnification Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR) imaging capability and intelligence / surveillance / reconnaissance dominance, including tracking and targeting systems across the airborne, marine and ground based platforms.
L3 WESCAM conducts approximately USD $500 million in sales annually, with a double digit annual growth rate that will result in the business nearly doubling in size over the next five years.
L3 WESCAM operates on a highly profitable commercial business model, re-investing over 5% of sales each year on internal research and development of new products and solutions. The sector overall has over 900 employees across 7 sites and it is expected that forecasted Merger & Acquisition activity will add additional divisional units to the sector.
About L3 WESCAM
L3 WESCAM designs, designs and develops gyro-stabilized, multi-sensor, multi-spectral camera systems using advanced EO/IR technology that delivers superior image intelligence from more than 100 different mobile platforms, that include fixed and rotary wing aircraft, UAVs, naval vessels and infantry fighting vehicles, and transmits via secure digital microwave links to land-based or airborne control centers for the detection and assessment of military threats or crisis situations. The global dominance of L3 WESCAM in this marketplace is a direct result of our industry leadership in the following disciplines:
* Gimbals Technology that employs world-leading gyro-stabilization and vibration isolation expertise.
* Electro-Optics that deliver quality images in a wide variety of light conditions and range situations.
* Control Systems that precisely maintain camera orientation, and point the data-link antenna.
* Communications that allow remote camera steering and base station real time image processing.
These strengths are combined with excellence in internal systems integration that supports the production of over 400 sensors per year, in a rapidly changing product environment, operating with a weak-matrix Program Management methodology and sub-contracting the manufacture of all sub-systems, employing COTS components, wherever possible. L3 WESCAM employs over 800 staff, and has revenues of more than USD $500 million, operating from offices in Burlington, Ontario and Pittsburg, PA.
The L3 WESCAM division is the main location of this sector. With offices at L3 WESCAM in Burlington, Ontario and alternatively at L3 WESCAM USA in Pittsburg, PA. This position is located at the Burlington, Ontario site.
At L3 WESCAM, it’s about the people! We have a sense of community and we’re a place where you can belong! Our culture is a huge contributor to our success and our success drives the need to be exceptional at building and growing a diverse, talented and productive workforce.
WESCAM is a highly successful and profitable Canadian division within the L3 Technologies group of companies. Our financial success has allowed us to become a center of excellence within the L3 HR community and we are often viewed as the gold standard within L3 with regard to many HR disciplines including compensation, Learning and Development, EH&S, Recruitment and core HR. Our Business Partners are highly respected within our business and our HR leadership has enjoyed a very influential seat at the executive table for many years.
WESCAM is anticipating growth of over 100% over the next 5-6 years. As such, our next HR leader will need to be a visionary capable of capitalizing on our current strengths, while shoring up our systems and capability required to move us to the next level as a business.
If developing a world class HR organization within a complex and demanding compliance-driven environment sounds like a challenge that will energize you…lets talk.
The Vice President Human Resources will be challenged to successfully navigate the organization through the evolution of our growth – protecting momentum, culture and strategy by proactively identifying opportunities and Human Resources strategies to position L3 WESCAM to effectively execute on its business objectives. As a seasoned strategist and forward-thinking practitioner of both advanced and fundamental human resources leadership, The Vice President will create the vision and approach to drive next-generation human resources leadership and results.
The underlying responsibilities of the Vice President Human Resources is to evaluate and assess, develop and execute, enhance and improve, and provide advice and counsel over a broad range of Human Resources themes.
Evaluate and Assess
* the organization's human resource function and performance.
* the HR division structure and team plan for continuous improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as for providing individuals with professional and personal growth opportunities.
* the reality of our succession planning capability and progress
* the competitiveness of all programs and practices against the relevant comparable companies, industries and markets.
* the strategic and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans.
* the impact of long-range planning of new programs/strategies and regulatory actions as those items will affect the attraction, engagement, motivation, development and retention of the people resources of the organization.
Develop and Execute
* the organization's plans and programs as a strategic partner, but particularly from the perspective of the impact on people and protecting culture during significant growth
* strategies, programs and associated implementation plans that support strategic succession planning and talent identification beyond the organization’s boundaries for positions of responsibility. Identifies appropriate and effective external sources for candidates for all levels within the organization.
* progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives and rewards for effective performance.
* programs to allow the organization to embrace applicants and employees of all backgrounds and to permit the full development and performance of all employees.
* appropriate policies and programs for effective management of the people resources of the organization.
* human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific programs to fill the identified gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor, critical need and senior management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities, and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company and the software industry.
Enhance and Improve
* the programs, policies, practices and processes associated with meeting the strategic and operational people issues of the organization.
* HR policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization.
* the activities, programs and strategic HR plans of other HR departments throughout the corporation.
Advice and Counsel
* To the Senior Leadership Team on issues affecting human capital performance, strategic leadership, regulatory and ethics concerns, organizational design and development, global talent strategy including sourcing, engagement, attraction, development and retention.
* Provides technical advice and knowledge to others within the human resources domain.
* on subjects such as global mobility and relocation, employee communications, employee safety and health, and community relations.
* Manages the budget and other financial measures of the HR department.
Accountabilities and Performance Measures
* Achievement of the implementation of organization-impacting human resources strategies and initiatives.
* Accountable for the successful alignment and execution of people processes to business strategy
* Achievement of other strategic objectives defined by the corporate senior executive team.
* Accountable for the efficient allocation of human resources technology, resources, programs and training impacting the entire organization in support of the business strategy.
Organizational Alignment and Key Relationships
* Reports to the President of L3 EWESCAM
* Peer group to include the CTO, CFO, VP Operations, VP Engineering, VP Global Sales, VP Legal, VP Customer Support
* Directly manages a team of Human Resources professionals supporting each of the primary business areas noted above
Competencies, Abilities, Qualifications and Experience
* Demonstrable evidence of
* HR Expertise and Thought Leadership
* Business Acumen.
* Communication and Consultation.
* Critical Evaluation Assessment
* Ethical Practices
* Global & Cultural Awareness.
* Leadership & Organizational Navigation.
* Relationship Management.
* Ability to
* travel globally
* meet frequent pressure to meet deadlines and targets.
* manage frequent high stress levels associated with senior executive functions
* obtain NATO Secret clearance and meet eligibility requirements of the Controlled Goods Program
* Bachelors' degree or equivalent, Master’s degree preferred
* 10 to 15 years of recent, relevant and progressive experience as a Human Resources senior leader
* Proven track record in a business of at least $500M sales or greater
* Broad general knowledge of the high-technology industry, preferably in the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance industries, or industries supporting integrated systems in the Defense, Intelligence and National Security verticals.
* Thorough knowledge and on-going awareness of current and progressive human resources techniques and practices.
* Advanced capability in strategic human resources management, innovative and visionary planning and implementation, analysis and informed decision making, coaching and leadership and communications.
L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
**Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
* CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Yes, 10 % of the Time
: Division L-3 Wescam