Closing Date: 28/10/2019
Leonardo Helicopters part of the multi-national Leonardo Group is a world leader in the design, manufacture and support of helicopters. We have a great heritage and pride ourselves both on our reputation for excellence and for providing opportunities for our people. Here is your chance to become part of the success story.
We are looking for a talented Rotor Loads Analyst to join our UK team based at our Yeovil site in the South West of England.
Employment benefits include a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave, salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme, the opportunity to join an award winning pension scheme, free car parking, employee discount scheme, an on-site Occupational Health Service, flexible working, flexi -leave scheme and a generous relocation package
The primary purpose of this role is to assist with the rotor loads discipline the design, testing, qualification, fleet support and improvement of the Company's products in order to ensure that the requirements and expectations of the Company, Customers and Airworthiness Authorities are met or exceeded.
Main scope of the job will thus include:
- the execution of a range of engineering activities, including design, analysis, assessment, simulation and testing of aircraft components and software, using established engineering tools, standards and procedures;
- the understanding of the requirements of engineering activities and their significance to the requirements of the customers and the certifying authorities;
- the application of engineering knowledge to develop the methods, tools and processes required to face research and innovation activities and to improve the quality and efficiency of engineering tasks;
- the production and maintenance of a range of standard engineering documentation within agreed formats in compliance with engineering and departmental instructions and provide technical data to meet design or engineering solution requirements.
Key Responsibility Areas
The key account abilities associated with this role are related to:
- Understand the contribution that your activities have on the improvement of overall aircraft capability.
- Harmonize, in the integrated design environment, all the rotor dynamic and loads requirements thus supporting the interpretation of system and user requirements to develop the Air Vehicle Specification.
- Perform defined engineering design and analysis tasks, required for project, process and departmental purposes using established methods related to isolated rotor stability, rotor design and vibratory loads.
- Develop and integrate engineering solutions from given broader design concepts and schemes.
- Gather and collate relevant technical and commercial information, as directed, to potentially aid/influence design and technical solutions.
- Provide the internal/external customers/suppliers with all the necessary requirements and design data.
- Perform defined simulation, modelling, testing and assessment activities to ensure that the engineering solution meets customer requirements.
- Assist with the creation of test plans and participate in sub system and system testing, using defined test procedures, to support the design, development and qualification process.
- Investigate assigned customer and product issues to produce a recommendation for their resolution.
- Assist with the development of new technologies, methods, and procedures for business benefit.
- Produce standard engineering documents, reports and qualification statements within agreed formats for work undertaken.
- Ensure that planned tasks are consistent with the methods by which specification compliance will be demonstrated.
- Represent the department in cross business discussions involving a product or aircraft sub-system.
- Represent the Company at meetings with the UK MoD, other customers, Universities and other external organisations as required.
- Liaise with selected suppliers to develop engineering solutions.
- Provide engineering support to manufacturing and production as required to meet department/project requirements.
- Understand and apply the safety and airworthiness requirements relevant to your activities.
- Ensure that the means of compliance are understood, and that tasks are consistent and compliant with specification.
- Represent the department in discussion with the airworthiness authorities.
- Work, where required, as part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team, contributing to its effectiveness through personal work flexibility.
- Understand the cost and time budgets allocated for the tasks you undertake and manage your work within these constraints.
- Plan own tasks and ensure co-ordination with other functions as directed.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
The role is highly technical and together with the attitude to learn and investigate the physical phenomena it would require experience and knowledge of helicopter and tiltrotor rotors loads aspects to carry it out effectively.
The competencies for a Rotor Loads Analyst are:
- Basic knowledge of Structural Dynamics, Modal Analysis, Aerodynamics, Non-linear dynamic systems, Stability and Aeroelasticity; knowledge of simulation modelling tools (e.g. CAMRAD, Matlab/Simulink, MSC/NASTRAN, MSC/ADAMS, Hypermesh) is an advantage;
- Computer programming (FORTRAN, Matlab, etc.),
- Specific working knowledge of civil and military helicopter operations; airworthiness regulation, etc.;
- Attitude to problem solving, systemic approach and capability to make basic technical decisions;
- Good communication skills and ability to work in cross-functional team environments.
- Degree in relevant subject is required, in Aeronautical Engineering is preferred.