11 months ago
Safran is an international high-technology group and tier-1 supplier of systems and equipment in the Aerospace and Defense markets. Operating worldwide, Safran has nearly 58,000 employees and generated sales of 15.8 billion euros in 2016. Safran is listed on the Euronext Paris stock exchange, and its share is part of the CAC 40 and Euro Stoxx 50 indices
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters. Safran is also features at the top of the "Happy at Work" ranking compiled by the website meilleures-entreprises.com, as one of the most popular companies for young engineers* and in the LinkedIn Top Attractors in France.
*Universum and Trendence surveys
Safran Electrical & Power is specialized in electrical power systems for the aviation market, encompassing the entire electrical chain (generation, distribution, conversion, wiring, load management, ventilation, systems integration, and support services), along with engineering solutions for the aerospace, automotive and rail sectors. With 14,200 employees in 12 countries, Safran Electrical & Power is now a leading global OEM at the heart of the strategy and the research on the more electric aircraft.
Main domain/Job field
Research, design and development - Mechanical engineering
Ram Air Turbine Software Coop/Intern
Winter/Spring Session 2018
Internship / Student
Part time / Full time
In line with Safran's vision for the More Electric Aircraft, SAFRAN Electric & Power division is responsible for becoming a world-class developer and manufacturer of Ram Air Turbine (RAT) Systems for use in aerospace emergency power generation, in addition to continuing our legacy as a premier supplier of electric power generation systems.
We are looking for co-ops in the Winter/Spring 2018 terms in addition to the Summer 2018. Please indicate on your resume or application which term you would be available.
Safran recently developed a new product line of ram air turbines. After several years of work, many tools were created to facilitate design and analysis of this system. This wide range of tools includes in-house developed Excel spreadsheets and macros, Python codes, Matlab codes and batch scripts for SolidWorks and Ansys. Most of these tools have been developed with automation in mind and the ability to run Design of Experiments. However, these tools were not developed by Computer Engineers and therefore lack in efficiency, performance, upgradability and user-friendliness.
A number of tools are still in development, such as an in-house Wi-Fi telemetry system for high speed rotating machinery as well as parametric models for CAD and Power Electronic simulations.
In order to fully be able to take advantage of these tools there is a need to harmonize, optimize and integrate these tools together. The Ram Air Turbine team is innovating in terms of tool creation and automation, which lead to the need of having a more structured framework for their development and expertise in software engineering.
2. Scope of work:
• Support the development, upgrade and clean-up of the numerous engineering tools available in the RAT Team.
• Provide guidance on best practices and implement procedures for the development of engineering tools.
• Understand the needs of the team and imagine and develop new tools to improve efficiency and throughput of the RAT team (automation, added capabilities).
• Support the creation of tool related documentation (technical notes and user interface documentation)
• Apply continuous improvement principles to increase efficiency and product innovation.
• Regular, predictable attendance is required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, ethnicity,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic data or other
legally protected status.
Safran is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals
with physical and mental disabilities. To verify the information in the job listing or if you need special assistance
or an accommodation while seeking employment, please
or call: . We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case by-
Candidate skills & requirements
Experience and Qualifications:
• Completed sophomore year working towards a BS or completed first year of an MS degree with a focus in an computer science or software engineering
• 2. Basic knowledge of the aerospace industry, its context, practices and general processes.
3. Basic understanding of mechanical and electrical systems for aircrafts.
4. Programming skills in Python, Matlab/Scilab, VBA. Knowledge of miscellaneous tools such as SABER, JMP, Git, Excel.
5. Good presentation, communication and inter-personal skills.
• Passion for mechanical or aerospace engineering, manufacturing, and technology.
• Capability and tenacity for solving unique engineering problems.
• Ability to learn quickly and a desire to keep improving skills and to teach others when possible.
• Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to organize thoughts, files, and data well.
• Team player with a highly pro-active and positive attitude with ability to work on own or in a team as needed.
• Hands-on skills. Demonstrated interest in building and testing.
North America, United States, Ohio
Minimum education level achieved
High School diploma, A Level
Minimum experience level required