9 months ago
About the Organization
Astronics is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Quality Inspector (Armstrong)
The Quality Inspector position covers several areas of Inspection responsibility through-out the facility. This position is a critical link between the shop floor associates, the engineering specifications and requirements and all customer flow down requirements and expectations. The person in this role will ensure that performance standards are met, and take appropriate action where necessary to meet agreed deadlines, quality performance, and production targets. Perform duties in the Inspection area to inspect a wide variety of simple to very complex seals, machined component parts, purchased piece parts, and raw materials to very close tolerances. To assist in customer related activities. The role also includes cross training throughout the department, and assisting when there is a bottleneck in an inspection area, vacation fill-ins, or managing absences. You will be responsible for supporting team cohesion within the department and the facility and lead by example.
* Work from complex drawings, special instructions such as sequence sheets and purchase orders, customer orders and codes, inspection plans, and instructions.
* Take sample of various machined, molded, or stamped component parts which contain varied and sophisticated surface relationships and high finish stainless steel, aluminum, carbide, rubber and special items.
* Set up specified precision measuring instruments and charting techniques.
* Inspect component parts and overall product visually for specified surface quality characteristics and missing operations and with specified measuring instruments for various interrelated dimensions for conformance to engineering specifications and codes of customers as required.
* Accept product or reject non-conforming product.
* Ensure product quality and acceptance and release product for shipment.
* Work with customers and manufacturing engineering department as requested to help resolve discrepancy problems.
* Prepare and maintain required department customer certification packages, paperwork, records and serial number log.
* Evaluate, write, and follow up on deviation request.
* Contact and work with customers to explain and resolve quality deviations.
* Schedule and coordinate work with source inspectors.
* Perform first piece inspection on the shop floor, as well as first article inspection, final and in process inspection of a wide variety of complex parts, subassemblies, or completed assemblies to exacting and close tolerances
* Use a wide variety of precision measuring instruments such as various types of micrometers, dial calipers, dial indicators, plug gauges, optical comparator, computerized coordinate measuring equipment, roundness measuring machine, gauge blocks, hardness tester, height gauge, surface plate, optical flats, vacuum and load test equipment.
* Ability to set up intricate gages and train others on appropriate methods.
* Act as Designated Quality Representative (DQR) on behalf of customer which also includes FAA DMIR certification when required.
* Monitor customer quality bulletin and determine appropriate actions.
* Prepare and upload data onto customer portals which includes performing First Article Inspection Reports (FAIR) for approval
* Assist in planning and assigning of daily workload
* Plan inspection methods and procedures
* Schedule sequence of jobs to run in accordance with production control requirements
* Arrange with service departments for maintenance of equipment, prints, tooling corrections, print discrepancies, disposition of parts and rejections, etc
* Responsible for conformance with safety regulations and good housekeeping practices
* Participates in continuous improvements/lean initiatives
* Maintain work cell 5S and housekeeping
* Helps maintain safe work environment
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position may be responsible for the performance of various functions that may be an integral part of the Company's overall SOX / 404 internal control structure.
* Use of advanced trades mathematics together with the use of complicated drawings, specifications, special instructions, customer orders and codes, inspection plans, and the use of all varieties of precision measuring instruments of a technical nature involving a thorough technical skills knowledge plus the application of basic theory. Equivalent to a complete accredited apprenticeship in a recognized trade, craft or occupation, or equivalent to a 2 year technical college education.
* Over 5 years of experience to become familiar with evaluation of material deviations, customer specifications, certification program and company practices.
* Use of considerable judgment to plan and perform unusual and difficult work where only general methods are available, and in the making of broad decisions, including the customer order codes impact on management systems, involving considerable initiative and ingenuity, where only general methods are available.
* Diversified work. Inspect for product quality purchased and manufactured components to very close tolerances. Exercise judgment to set up specified precision measuring instruments, inspect for various dimensions and surface quality. Approve or reject items within the limitations of recognized methods and procedures.
* Light physical demand required to handle and inspect component parts and assembled products with precision measuring instruments, which is equivalent to continuously lifting or moving very light weight material or frequently light weights.
* Concentrated mental and visual attention required in laying out or otherwise performing complex work to very close limits of high accuracy and quality; or in coordination of a high degree of manual dexterity with close visual attention for sustained periods.
* Over 5 years’ experience
* Math skills – decimals and fractions
* Ability to work from drawings, job layouts, process sheets or specifications
* Use a wide variety of precision measuring instruments such as various types of hard gaging, electronic measurement equipment, types of optical comparators, computerized coordinate measuring equipment, roundness equipment, height gauges, use of surface plates and various tooling, optical flats, vacuum and load test equipment.
* Knowledge of shop practices and inspection procedure
* High school diploma or equivalent
Astronics CSC Itasca (1377)
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.