6 months ago
L3 WESCAM is an exciting company providing systems that capture stabilized, high-magnification images from fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV, aerostat and ground based platforms. From low-altitude tactical missions to long-range covert surveillance missions, images are transmitted in real-time to fixed and mobile receive locations for immediate interpretation. WESCAM's MX-Series of Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR), laser, surveillance and targeting systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defense/Military, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Our dominance of the airborne platform space has positioned us for explosive and game changing growth into ground-based markets.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools, alongside some of the best thought leaders in our industry, in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule) in addition to regular vacation and public holidays, free on-site gym, free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, a strong focus on continuing education and much more. Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about the history of WESCAM...
Tasks to be Accomplished
* Participant in the General ownership of a L3 Wescam product – supporting MX Product Manager or assigned project leader.
* Key member of team responsible for the Management of product design integrity throughout its production life cycle (after full product launch)
* Identify, incorporate and coordinate change to the product base line. Provide support to the Technical Authority.
* Participate in and/or generate NRE estimates for sustaining product design changes
* Projects will address cost reduction, obsolescence or producibility concerns
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage the sustaining projects and provide monthly cost and schedule updates
* Ensure the engineering manpower database accurately reflects the sustaining engineering demand for your projects
* Engineering inputs need to be solicited from engineering line management as required
* Manage smaller level loaded sustaining engineering activities for designated product
* Support to the MX Product Manager for Accountable and responsible for product reliability
* Attend biweekly engineering reliability review meetings as required
* Support the monthly RIB meetings
* Provide input to select and develop reliability enhancement projects
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage the reliability engineering projects and provide monthly cost and schedule updates
* Monitor product MTBF with inputs provided from Systems Engineering.
* Support CSG repairs and upgrades
* Provide NRE estimates
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage upgrades and repair support
* Support tech pubs by providing updates on standard product configurations
* Provide product design support to systems engineering for all PMO or CSG driven changes
* Participate in ensuring that all design changes are validated and verified
* Contact person for Operations issues requiring quick turnaround action (investigation support or design changes).
* Manage small NPI, sustaining or reliability improvement project
* Accountable to the MX-15/MX-20 Product Manager, project design technical leader or assigned NPI Manager to NPI Technical Manager.
* Basic knowledge of the following
* Control system design
* Analog and digital video standards
* Connector and backshell selection per Mil-Std-38999
* IPC600 standard for PCB manufacture
* Servos, microprocessors, DC power distribution, switching power supplies
* Shielding, bonding, grounding and impedance matching principels
* Opto-mechanical design principles
* Basic knowledge of optical principles
* IR and EO Sensor Technology
* Optical testing
* MTRD, MRC, NETD, MTF, Boresighting, resolution measurements
* Able to generate and update design schedules using Microsoft project
* Able to generate test procedures, product specification and reports using Microsoft word
* An appreciation of software development tools
* RTEMS and vxWorks RTOS
* An appreciation of Electrical Engineering development tools
* Xilinx design tools
* Schematic capture tools, ORCAD, PADS, Allegro
* Layout design tools, PADS, ORCAD, Allegro
* An appreciation of Mechanical Engineering development tools
* CAD Design using IDEAS, AutoCAD
* Structural and thermal analysis – FEA
* Strong understanding of Vibration isolation and troubleshooting
* An appreciation of Testing methods – ESS, HALT
* Appreciation for EO Design tools
* Lens Design using CodeV or Zeemax
* EO Systems Analysis using Acquire and/or NVTHERM
Experience & Education Requirements
* Bachelor of Engineering Degree (Mech, EE, Engineering Physics, Software all appropriate degrees) or equivalent on the job experience
* 7+ years technical experience designing subassemblies for advanced surveillance systems
* L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
**Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
CAN Security Clearance Required: None
: Day - 1st
: Division L-3 Wescam