4 months ago
UTC Aerospace Systems (UTAS) is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. ISR & Space Systems is a business unit within UTAS and our products reside in deep space, low earth orbit, undersea and on the ground. We are also a major supplier to international space programs. The ISR & Space Systems business has contributed to significant advances in ground, air, space and imaging technology for over 85 years. Within ISR & Space Systems we design and manufacture Environmental Control and Life Support Systems on the International Space Station, including the space suit, and undersea in submarines.
The Program Engineering Manager (PEM) will provide continuous support of the NextStep program’s vision to support manned space flight. The PEM serves a critical role within the program office reporting to the NextStep program managers and department engineering management. The candidate will drive the execution of all engineering responsibilities on the program while meeting both internal and external customer expectations. Direct communication with customers will be required – including daily tag-ups, weekly meetings, and quarterly meetings. This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written), technical experience, and the ability to manage cross-functional teams. The PEM also has ultimate responsibility of support for both new product development. Program engineering responsibilities will include the execution of established metrics including schedule, cost, technical performance, quality, creating and implementing program level standard work processes and risk management. This position also has supervisory responsibilities for managing direct staff of approximately 3 employees. Indirect management of activities of up to 20+ various engineering subject matter experts.
* Prior experience in related Engineering discipline(s) in managerial role
* Experience with environmental control hardware (e.g. thermal and humidity control, air revitalization, water reclamation etc.)
* Ability to define and drive execution of various trade studies to drive architecture decisions and drive requirement generation.
* Exceptional organizational, analytical, written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and strategize longer term projects
* Superior interpersonal and influencing skills, including coaching and mentoring of other engineering staff
* Strong computer skills, MS Office
* Natural presence/comfortable presenting to internal and external customers
* Ability to bring team members together and work problems to resolution
* Program Management Professional Certification is a plus.
* US Citizen
"This position is considered safety sensitive in accordance with NASA guidelines. Candidate will be subject to drug and alcohol testing per NASA’s regulation SUBPART 1835.5 Drug-Free Workforce."
* BA/BS degree w/ 16 + years of experience
* MA/MS degree w/ 13 + years of experience
* PhD degree w/ 10 + years of experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.