3 months ago
Provides engineering support to the business unit for all aspects of component repair related to development of minor repairs and continuous improvement programs. Ensures compliance to relevant airworthiness and contractual requirements.
* Identifies and establishes improvement programs through root cause analysis (i.e., repair instructions, proper sequencing, inspection criteria, gauges, fixtures, machines, etc.), analysis of turn times, work in process, non-conformance tags (NCTs), material review board (MRBs), process interruptions, other line stoppages, warranty failure modes, field reliability of repairs, investigation of repair-related field problems, line build problems, and subcontractors' repair performance. Works with the quality department to trend the improvements.
* Develops minor/major repairs (non-standard in conjunction with original equipment manufacturer (OEM), in-house process engineers, and outside services as required) under Design Approval Organization (DAO) sanction; refines existing repair schemes to eliminate the frequent need for in-process rejects and MRBs.
* Owns, generates, maintains, and updates repair process instructions, temporary overhaul data revisions (TODRs), matrix codes, etc. related to repair procedures. Prepares production routings and detailed repair instructions based on approved data.
* Reviews all scrap not able to be dispositioned routinely with a view for possibility to develop future engine manual book repairs.
* Provides input to management pertaining to repair/process implementation.
* In compliance with company instructions and the Design Approval Organization, executes MRB reviews, addresses and documents NCTs, generates minor discrepancy reports (MDRs), and submits departure record requests for part conditions exceeding engine manual repair limits.
* Acts as a conduit between the business unit and component remanufacturing services in resolving technical production problems.
* Implements new repairs/processes on scheduled due dates to accomplish production objectives using project management tools.
* Provides support and consultation services to business unit personnel and to the repair development facilities with regard to the development and implementation of new repairs and processes or repair development projects.
* Responsible for development of cost benefit analysis on all repair projects managed. Provides cost and schedule estimates for proposed work packages.
* Supports acquisition of manufacturing equipment as required to meet repair implementation objectives.
* Responsible for observing all applicable safety requirements and reporting immediately any unsafe practices/conditions.
* 4 year Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, manufacturing, materials or industrial engineering.
* Specific experience in development and implementation of bonded/composite components required. Repair experience in gas turbine engine composite/bonded parts (panels, shrouds, spinner cones, OGV’s, etc) highly desirable.
* Knowledge of gas turbine engine maintenance, theory, and performance.
* Knowledge of aerospace materials and manufacturing processes (i.e. bonding, metal spray, welding, machining, heat treatment, non-destructive testing).
*Ability to read and interpret engine manual repair instructions, inspection criteria, and part blue prints.
* Strong technical writing skills, interpersonal communication skills, and proficient computer skills are a must.
* Ability to make quick decisions in a fast paced and high part volume environment.
* Working knowledge of precision measurement instruments and gauges.