6 months ago
WESCAM Don Mills, an L3 WESCAM location in a suburb of Toronto, designs and manufactures specialized custom opto-mechanical lens assemblies and aspheric components.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools alongside of some of the best thought leaders in our industry in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule - in addition to regular vacation and public holidays), free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, and much more.Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about the history of WESCAM...
Tasks to be Accomplished
* Actively participate in the mechanical design of complex optical lens assemblies, including fixed focal length and zoom lenses, from concept to production.
* Provide Opto-Mechanical Design expertise and act as an Opto-Mechanics Subject Matter Expert across the organization.
* Work closely with Optical Designers and Manufacturing to achieve the best possible mechanical designs considering all performance requirements, manufacturability & cost, for existing and new lenses.
* Actively support the manufacturing organization and suppliers to ensure proper knowledge transfer, timely resolution of design issues and effective test methodologies development.
* Collaborate closely with Product Managers and other team members from Wescam Burlington Operations to support estimates and ensure high quality of design solutions.
* Design, build and use precision mechanical engineering test fixtures using modern methods to measure the performance of opto-mechanical parts and assemblies.
* Generate design related documentation including BOMs, part and assembly drawings, engineering studies, test reports, etc.
* Participate in and present results at design review meetings related to modifications and new lens designs.
* Actively participate in the application, maintenance and improvement of the Engineering design practices, processes and standards.
* Keep up-to-date knowledge of the Precision Mechanics, Opto-Mechanical and Mechanical Engineering industries trends and new technologies that may be relevant to Wescam’s business.
* Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Opto-Mechanical Design.
* Knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Fine Mechanics and Opto-Mechanical design principles
* Proficiency with Mechanical 3D CAD software, Solidworks preferred
* Proven ability to virtually prototype and analyze complex mechanical designs before they are built and tested
* Basic knowledge of lens optical design and optical principles
* Proficiency in a Mechanical Engineering lab environment
* Knowledge of Structural Analysis and Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
* Knowledge of electro-mechanical drive design principles
* Knowledge of machining, casting and sheet metal manufacturing techniques and processes
Experience & Education Requirements
* Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
* Professional experience in a similar role is preferred
* Graduate degree in a related field an asset
* Proven track record of leadership in CAD mechanical design
* L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
**Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Division L-3 Wescam