4 months ago
ISR & Space Systems, a division of UTC Aerospace Systems, is a world leader in developing biological and chemical detection systems employed by the U.S. Military, NASA, and Department of Homeland Security to assure personnel safety on space, ground, and undersea platforms. We have over 60 years of experience supporting the men and women who protect our country and our mission in space. Our passion demands excellence in everything we do, from the talent we recruit to the highly-engineered systems we deliver. We value people, integrity, ideas and performance.
We are currently seeking an optical sensor engineer to provide scientific and technical leadership to coordinate the technical activities of engineers developing state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation for the detection of chemical and biological hazards in harsh environments. The position will emphasize the development and application of optically-based sensor technologies to include:
* Generate instrument concepts and alternative designs
* Serve as scientific resource to lead design/test work of other engineers
* Model key analytical elements, for system performance and efficiencies to select and optimize instrument design
* Perform laboratory trade studies and build key prototype instrument subsystems
* Coordinate instrument testing and debugging, and identify measures to address instrument deficiencies
* Collect, review, and analyze test data and evaluate compliance with requirements
* Write test reports and technical documents
* Present results to in-house and customer representatives
* Participate in the development of new business areas by making presentations to potential customers and writing successful proposals
-Candidate must have a minimum of 3 years of graduate school or industry experience.
-Experience with development of analytical instrumentation, preferably focused on development of Raman spectroscopy and/or single or multi-pass laser absorption spectroscopy
-Knowledge and experience with other optically-based techniques will also be considered
-Familiarity with instrument modeling and design, material selection, and laboratory application testing is a plus
-Experience with development of specifications, requirements, coordination of development efforts, definition of subsystem requirements and generation of test plans and procedures is also desirable
Due to the nature of the work US Citizen is required.
* MS or PhD in Physical/Analytical Chemistry, Physics or Instrumentation Engineering
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.