6 months ago
If you want to help make our world a better and safer place – in space, in the air, on the ground, in the sea – then the Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) & Space Systems team may be the place for you. Every day we support the nation on the critical missions of warfighters and astronauts with cutting-edge technology, information, reconnaissance and life-support systems. Our mission is their safety and success.
Do you have what it takes to push the boundaries of leading edge, future shaping technologies, deliver results while working with a diverse team of talented individuals, and challenge yourself knowing that what you do matters to the country and the warfighter? Are you Mission Ready? This job is for you!
We at ISR & Space Systems are world leaders in high altitude and space based electro-optical sensors, employed by the U.S. and foreign militaries in mission critical intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations. Our passion for supporting and protecting those who protect our freedom and their mission demands excellence in everything we do, from the talent we recruit to the highly-engineered systems we deliver.
In this role you will be part of the Optical Manufacturing team which is responsible for producing precision optics and optical assemblies. As an Optical Manufacturing Technician you will be part of a team which includes opticians, metrologists, machinists, technicians, technologists and engineers. This position will expose the candidate to various manufacturing assignments across several Optical Manufacturing areas. The Optical Manufacturing Technician will be paired with a mentor from within each work center assigned. Working with your mentor, you will be given assignments of increasing responsibility and opportunities for growth. Assignments will vary based upon business needs and will expose the candidate to a broad range of functional areas. Major duties for this positon include manufacture of optics; precision inspections and measurements, machine use and preventative maintenance and providing assistance to the team by executing assignments within the Optical Manufacturing organization.
* Manufacturing optics in accordance with manufacturing documentation, process documentation and technical requirements under the guidance of the Group Leader
* Work with opticians, technologists and engineers in a culture of continuous improvement of processes and identify opportunities to improve quality, efficiency, throughput and first-pass yield
* Ensure safe handling of in-process and deliverable hardware
* Compliance to standard work requirements
* Support full compliance to Environmental, Health and Safety requirements
This job is critical to the success of the organization. Optics and optical assemblies are at the heart of the majority of products produced by ISR and Space Systems. This position is essential to our mission because it directly contributes to the high-precision products we deliver in support of our nation’s security interests.
This position intentionally assigns the candidate to multiple functional areas over the course of time. This offers the candidate a unique opportunity for developing a wide range of skills and experiences within the Optical Manufacturing organization. It is an ideal job for the candidate with strong mechanical aptitude; the ability to work with delicate and precision hardware while offering a growth opportunity in a team environment to demonstrate and further develop a broad range of skills.
Work spans across traditional manufacturing areas and laboratory environments
* 2 - 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment including working knowledge of blueprints and tolerances
* Ability to use shop and basic hand tools
* Working knowledge of manufacturing standards and practices
* Familiar with basic optical fabrication techniques including: handling & protecting, cleaning, blocking, grinding, polishing, edging and measuring
* Familiar with machinery and optical manufacturing equipment
* Ability to follow manufacturing instructions in the production of optics and optical assemblies
* Ability to apply basic manufacturing skills in the production, inspection and test of optics and optical product
* Proficiency with technical information (e.g., blueprints, process specifications and instructions)
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Must have basic computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office )
* Ability to learn
* Flexibility and a desire to work on a variety of manufacturing processes
* Strong team player
List the work environment considerations (i.e., lab, office, physical, remote environment)
* Work spans across traditional manufacturing areas and laboratory environments
* Technical School, Associates Degree or equivalent experience in a manufacturing or technical area
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.