10 months ago
Engineering professional responsible as the Special Process Owner for welding, brazing, soldering, and heat treat of metal materials used in the manufacture of aerospace and industrial products. This individual provides support to the design team, manufacturing, and suppliers in the areas of materials selection, joint design, process development and control, NADCAP certification, failure analysis, and product improvement / cost reduction initiatives.
Products the Metal Joining Engineer supports will predominantly be high speed permanent magnet alternators and other similar machines, power electronics and regulators, temperature sensors and probes, bellows and switch assemblies.
The Principal Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
* Research, develop, and specify designs, methods and equipment related to metal joining practices including:
* And beam welding
* Silver and copper alloy furnace
* Induction and torch brazing
* Aluminum dip-brazing
* Electrical and structural soldering
* And heat-treating
* Assist in the selection of materials and joint designs
* Review and approve engineering drawings
* Prepare engineering and process specifications
* Document results of technical activities in formal technical reports
* Provide key technical support for NADCAP certification and continuing audit activities for welding, brazing and heat-treating processes
* Activities will include bringing new equipment and instrumentation on-line
* Assessing adequacy of instrumentation, calibration, and preventative maintenance systems
* Conduct operator training and certification
* Direct metals joining material storage, control and disposal
* And create / approve documentations such as company procedures
* Engineering specifications
* Manufacturing instructions
* And metal joining schedules
* Identify, plan, and lead process improvement projects to implement new controls and technologies for improved repeatability, reduced cost, and reduced manufacturing throughput time
* Meeting all project deliverables and schedule deadlines :
* Lead and assist in root cause problem solving activities to resolve manufacturing and field service issues
* Develop and implement standard design practices from lessons learned
* Lead new materials selection and development efforts to provide state-of-the-art technological advantages
* Work with the Engineering and Manufacturing Teams to meet all cost targets
* Write technical proposals, test plans and reports, and present technical information to customers
* Lead, plan, and implement cost reduction and automation activities; reporting progress to management on a regular basis
* Bachelor of Science degree in Welding Engineering, Metallurgy, or Materials Science from an accredited university or college
* Minimum of 7 years of experience focused in the application of metals-joining technologies (Including Knowledge of metallic materials, heat treating, and metal joining processes; knowledge of NADCAP certification requirements; Process automation experience including programming and developing process schedules and controls; Familiarity with office computer software and standard materials laboratory test equipment)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
* Ability and availability to travel up to 20%, both Domestically and Internationally
* This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment
* Advanced degree from an accredited university or college would be a plus
* Previous experience in an Aerospace environment desired
* Minimum of 7 years of professional experience focused in the application of metals-joining technologies, preferably in a high-mix, low volume product design and manufacturing environment that achieved NADCAP or other similar approvals
* Experience in the specification of materials and special processes, including thermal, metals-joining, and inorganic coatings
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
* Ability to communicate with all levels of internal and external customer organizations, including upper management
Why join one great company when you can join many? We are more than 280,000 people with jobs that range from biochemist to finance specialist to wind energy engineer. We’re passionate about making life better with new ideas and technologies. We’re diverse, supporting our communities in more than 140 countries. Experience personal growth and competency development as part of the GE team. Around the world, we are helping build the healthcare, transportation and aviation of the new century.
At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas into advances in aviation that solve some of the world’s toughest problems. Join us and you’ll find yourself in a dynamic environment where our ongoing, substantial investment in research and development keeps us moving forward and looking ahead. Here you’ll work collaboratively and across functions with the highest caliber talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. Whether it’s the next generation of ecomagination products or the future of aircraft engines, we’ve got the state-of-the-art resources to make those innovations a reality. If you’re passionate about aviation and looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE in reengineering the sky through aviation innovations that will impact the globe for generations to come.
Unison Industries, a wholly owned subsidiary of GE Engine Services, is a world leader in the design and manufacture of electrical components, sensors, and systems for aircraft, industrial, marine, military, and space uses. The Norwich facility provides product & design engineering, new product manufacturing, repair, overhaul, and technical support for customers. Major product lines include Power generation and control systems for gas turbine engines, metal encased ignition leads, sensors, space ignition systems, and satellite harnesses. Less than an hour and a half from Syracuse and 2 hours from the state capital of Albany, NY our Norwich location employs a multitalented workforce of 300+ employees who also live in the picturesque surroundings of upstate NY. The local landscape provides miles of land on which to enjoy outdoor activities such as cross-country skiing, hunting, hiking, boating & snowmobiling. See why we love Norwich!
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on twitter: @geconnections
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Working for GE Aviation is exciting & challenging. Come see what you are missing!
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; New York; Norwich
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.