7 months ago
Mechanical Engineer II
About the Organization
Astronics is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Mechanical Engineer II (PECO)
PECO-Astronics, located in Clackamas, Oregon, designs and manufactures highly engineered commercial aerospace interior components and systems for the aerospace industry. We specialize in Passenger Service Units (PSUs) which incorporate air handling, emergency oxygen, electrical power management and cabin lighting systems. We also manufacture a wide range of fuel tank access doors that meet stringent strength, fuel sealing and anti-corrosion requirements. PECO enjoys a longstanding relationship with many aerospace customers, including The Boeing Company, for which it provides a variety of products across its line of commercial airliners.
In support of our growth, we are seeking to add a Mechanical Engineer II to our team. The purpose of this position is to perform technical design projects for new and existing products. This includes the synthesis of novel product concepts and design approaches as well as the utilization of new technologies. This position requires fluency with 3D CAD software, a strong background with structured product development processes, good people skills, and experience with designing components made of plastics and metals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following duties and others as assigned.
* Provides one or more of the following design functions: mechanical or electromechanical design computer aided design software.
* Designs mechanical components and assemblies with an emphasis on manufacturability, reliability and maintainability.
* Provides leadership and mentoring to more junior personnel in the engineering group.
* Provides engineering leadership function on projects of intermediate complexity. Leads activities across groups and across products to ensure product inter-operability and compatibility with other projects.
* Researches, designs, develop, and test a variety of mechanical and electromechanical equipment and systems.
* Facilitates and leads assigned development projects for new and existing products based on formal product specifications.
* Perform engineering calculations to determine the size and strength of components. Solve design problems and check computations contributing to analytical designs.
* Applies applicable national standards in the design and testing of products and subassemblies.
* Generates engineering test reports
* Applies Quality Standards accordingly.
* Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions: Uses equipment and materials properly.
* Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
* Reports consistently to work and is on time. Able to work an eight-hour shift.
This position may require knowledge of SOX / 404 internal audit controls and related documentation and this position may be responsible for the performance of various functions that may be an integral part of the Company's overall SOX / 404 internal control structure.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. Five to seven years of related experience and/or related training.
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
* Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
* Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, employees and the general public.
* Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
* Ability to express and manipulate constraints and relationships symbolically. Ability to develop numerical solutions to complex equations.
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
* Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in oral, diagram or schedule form.
* To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office applications.
* Five to seven years of experience in new product design.
* Strong project management skills including the ability to guide and direct technical personnel.
* Strong understanding of high volume manufacturing.
* Knowledge of engineering tools such as FMEAs, FEA, and DFMA to validate design content.
* Experience in evaluating structural acceptability of designs by testing prototypes for reliability and FAA certification is desirable.
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, or government regulations. Working knowledge of 14 CFR Part 25 Airworthiness Standards is desirable.
* AS9100 standards and document control experience desirable.
* Working knowledge of GD&T and mechanical tolerance analysis methods.
* Demonstrated competency with CAD applications; SolidWorks preferred.
* Functionally proficient in use and application of numerical simulation methods (particularly Finite Element Analysis and/or CFD/Thermal analysis) is desirable.
* Working proficiency using Design of Experiments techniques/applications (Minitab, JMP, or Design-Expert). Knowledge of Statistical Process Control methodology and applications a plus.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.