8 months ago
Manufacturing Engineering Lead
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 58377BR Date posted 12/20/City Fairfield
The Manufacturing Engineer Lead is primarily responsible for provide technical guidance and leadership to the Manufacturing Engineering group and supporting production cells. He/She will be responsible for assigning priorities, supporting corrective action implementation and providing technical support to other areas of the organization. Needs to demonstrate creative and innovative problem solving technics to resolve production/process issues and bring value to what needs to be accomplished on the production floor. Duties will include develop and improve standardized production processes, improve material utilization/yield, improve product quality and lead assigned projects to reduce scrap and other production costs such as changeover time. Supports plant operations by identifying and solving operational problems and bringing consistency to operational procedures. The successful candidate would be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of manufacturing processes to maintain proper product functionality as well as cost efficiency, which will improve safety, delivery, quality, cost, lead-time, inventory, and reduce product/process variation.
List the major position responsibilities in order of priority. (This description is intended to be only a general outline of major responsibilities. It is expected that the employee performs these and any other activities which may be assigned or which may occur in the normal course of work. It is also expected that the employee be available to work hours in excess of 40 per week.)
* Identifies operational problems and improvement opportunities by analyzing data, observing and studying floor operational systems and performance results, investigating complaints and suggestions, and interviewing supervisors and operators.
* Must be able to supervise employees on manufacturing floor when needed.
* Develops and implements solutions across all shifts to the operational problems and opportunities identified.
* Improves quality and consistency of operational results by studying, evaluating, and recommending process changes or re-design and implements changes across shifts.
* Identifies and makes recommendation for continuous improvement opportunities such as; efficiency, waste, cost savings, energy conservation, operator convenience, safety, time, and other costs by assessing current operational performance.
* Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures by complying with company and legal regulations.
* Plans and formulates aspects of research and development proposals such as objective or purpose of project, applications that can be utilized from findings, costs of project, and equipment and human resource requirements.
* Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis. Responsibility for manufacturing technical data integrity and process conformance to AS9100, NADCAP,OSHA, regulatory, and customer requirements
* Manages and directs Manufacturing Engineers and technicians; responsible for safety, recruitment, selection, training, development and performance reviews of subordinate staff
* Develops, determines and implements policies, procedures and programs.
* Selects correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement for existing ones.
* Reviews and analyzes proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
* Approves and submits proposals considered feasible to management for consideration and allocation of funds or allocates funds from department budget.
* Works with Operations/Quality/Design Manager; reviews and monitors quality and process improvements and new product development.
* Recommends budgets to management; including staff utilization, technology, facility and equipment requirements or improvements.
* Directs appropriate support for Manufacturing and Quality functions within the organization.
* Champions a culture of inclusion and accountability by leveraging machine operators as well as MEs in the development and troubleshooting of stable manufacturing processes
* Implements methods and practices to reduce variation. Understands the application of SPC and gage effective use within the facility. Leads and/or performs root cause and corrective action analysis as required.
* Acts as technical resource for manufacturing processes for day-to-day running of the plant
* 2 years manufacturing experience.
* Knowledge of industry and customer specific quality processes (AS9100)
* Ability to manage in a fast paced environment
• Excellent demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and strategic skills
• Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and coach employees
• Ability to perform multi-faceted projects in rapidly changing environment
• Resourceful and well organized
• Results oriented, with sound judgment
• Excellent trouble shooting/problem resolution ability
• Ability to effectively lead a cross-functional team, demonstrate strong leadership/supervisory ability
• Understanding and use of: statistics/data analysis, bills of material and engineering changes
• Detailed knowledge about industrial engineering, Kaizen, and other Continuous Improvement techniques
• Must be able to work hours in excess of 40 per week
• Must be a working supervisor
Supervision:Does this position supervise other employees?Yes
8 direct reports
Work Environment / Other Position Requirements:
• Works in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, often requiring frequent movement
• Must be able to access, input, retrieve and send information via computer and telephone.
• Some travel required
5% of time traveling
* BS degree w/2+ years of experience in manufacturing and manufacturing engineering disciplines
Or MS degree w/1+ years of experience in manufacturing and manufacturing engineering disciplines
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.