7 months ago
Manufacturing Engineer, CNC
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics Corporation, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Manufacturing Engineer, CNC (PECO)
PECO-Astronics, located in Clackamas, Oregon, designs and manufactures highly engineered commercial aerospace interior components and systems for the aerospace industry. We specialize in Passenger Service Units (PSUs) which incorporate air handling, emergency oxygen, electrical power management and cabin lighting systems. We also manufacture a wide range of fuel access doors that meet stringent strength, fuel sealing and anti-corrosion requirements.
The purpose of this position is to develop and implement optimal, cost effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. Additionally, this technical role requires the ability to complete accurate and thorough estimates of costs and effectively communicate with internal Sales, Engineering, Quality and Operations. Compliance with state and federal regulations, and ensuring Company standards are being achieved, is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Will include the following duties and others as assigned.
* Recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods and controls including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
* Coordinates manufacturing launch for new (NPI) or revised products including establishing goals, training and evaluating results.
* Develops detailed cost estimates for precision machining and related processes to include: precision machining capacity/capabilities of multi-axis CNC; tooling/fixtures; gaging; special processes, deburring, assembly and inspection.
* Accurately develops and maintains bills of materials and manufacturing plans.
* Accurately interprets customer specifications and 'build to print' concepts.
* Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency.
* Designs, develops and tests and/or sources and cost-justifies various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods.
* Supplies necessary technical support to equipment selection process, equipment specifications, bid recaps and necessary capital requests. Participates in all equipment buyoffs and acceptance at both supplier and Astronics facilities.
* Works in direct communication with customers and suppliers.
* Travels to customers and suppliers, as needed, to support projects.
* Works with Supply Chain, Planning and Operations to ensure that the appropriate lead-times and costs are captured in Infor Syteline-9 ERP system, assuring proper stock levels.
* Drives continuous improvement of process and quality yields and total component cost.
* Performs and documents time studies.
* Mentors less experienced Manufacturing Engineers.
* Supports Operations personnel through problem-solving and by removing production obstacles.
* Attends Quality Manual Standards Training and applies Quality Standards accordingly.
This position may require knowledge of SOX / 404 internal audit controls and related documentation and this position may be responsible for the performance of various functions that may be an integral part of the Company's overall SOX / 404 internal control structure.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experiences:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below each are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent.
* One to three years of related experience.
* CNC Programming Language knowledge required.
* Proficiency in both 2D & 3D CAD/CAM systems and tools.
* Knowledgeable of Kaizen and Lean manufacturing techniques.
* Aerospace knowledge, FAI experience and AS-9100 experience is strongly desired.
* A high degree of mechanical aptitude.
* Familiar with the data requirements for effective ERP/MRP system operations.
* Strong general computer skills including proficiency with MS Office.
* Ability to perform problem analysis and problem resolution.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.