about 1 year ago
Director, E-commerce User Experience
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 115 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
We're seeking a creative design leader to help drive the future of our $3 billion, multi-channel e-commerce business. You'll work across several product teams, partnering with UX researchers, product managers and other functions in the design and delivery of high-performing user experiences for AlaskaAir.com, our mobile apps, kiosks and more.
You're the right person for the role if you are driven to create engaging experiences in a multi-device world and are fearless in the face of constraints. Your leadership guides the design of complex experiences from concept to execution, resulting in high-quality visual and interactive elements that bring our brand to life. You see things as experiences, not pages and embody Lean UX thinking, accountability, collaboration and guest advocacy.
Scope & Complexity
- This position manages user interface design activities for Alaska Air Group (AAG) and its subsidiaries.
- Serves as a mentor and hands-on designer for team of user experience and creative designers focused on content and merchandising across multiple platforms.
o Sets a high bar and helps the team with efficient delivery of quality designs.
o Prioritizes and scopes project efforts.
o Creates and inspires a design-driven culture.
- Evangelizes user-centered design and delivers consistency within and across devices and environments.
- Collaborates with UX research and analytics teams to identify design opportunities, evaluate concepts, and incorporate findings.
- Collaborates with designers, design managers, and across cross-functional team on creating, contributing and curating a style guide and pattern library.
- Presents to diverse audiences, including e-commerce team members and executives in an easy to understand way and leverages best practices of storytelling.
- Collaborates with product management to inform product strategy and road map, focusing on content, marketing, and merchandising experiences.
- Drives the vision for accessible, responsive solutions that marry evergreen and time-sensitive experiences.
- Collaborates with marketing colleagues to align designs with brand and/or campaign guidelines and informs brand guidelines based on digital best practices.
- Guides the use of motion design and animation across our experiences.
- Facilitates ideation sessions to push the boundaries of design.
- Team Management & Development
o Hires and develops designers that can take Alaska Airlines to the next level.
o Coaches designers in the soft skills of working with product managers and engineering (especially important in getting the desired fit and finish).
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in a related field.
- Strong understanding of brand development, multi-channel marketing, and design/SEO alignment.
- Significant experience with Lean UX and agile product development.
- Working knowledge of the old favorites (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) and latest design tools.
- Strong conceptual and visual thinker, leveraging storyboards and mockups to communicate complex ideas.
- Proven ability to manage multiple complex design efforts simultaneously.
- Hands-on skills or good knowledge of a spectrum of design: UX, interaction design, UI design, graphic design, motion and animation, etc.
- Passion for keeping up with current design trends and best practices and technology innovation.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in elevating a brand's visual language into digital experiences.
- Demonstrated experience taking projects from concept to delivery and ongoing optimization.
- Strong communication (e.g., verbal, written, listening), presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- 2 or more years of experience leading and mentoring direct reports.
- E-commerce experience.
- Product or marketing design agency experience.
- Experience creating and working with living digital style guides/pattern libraries/Atomic Design.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, with a focus in user experience, interaction design, graphic design or a related discipline, is preferred.
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history (we require 10 years of work history to be added to the application), resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to..
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.