2 months ago
Posting Open Date: 06/11/2018
Posting Close Date: 06/18/2018 (Please note the posting will close at 11:59pm)
WestJet (TSX: WJA) is an iconic Canadian brand. Headquartered in Calgary, Canada, WestJet, along with regional carrier WestJet Encore, is Canada’s leading high-value, low-cost carrier. WestJet is continually recognized as one of the top employers in the country and one of Canada’s most admired corporate cultures. In 2017, WestJet celebrated its 50th consecutive quarter of profitability, and was recognized as the only Canadian airline with investment grade credit ratings.
Founded as a regional carrier in Calgary in 1996, with 3 aircraft and 220 employees, WestJet has experienced momentous growth. Today, WestJet is a thriving international airline operated by 13,000+ employees, collectively known as WestJetters. Through scheduled flights across a rapidly expanding network, WestJet also operates WestJet Vacations (providing air, hotel, car and excursion packages), and WestJet Encore (a regional airline operating in Canada and the United States).
WestJet is embarking upon a transformative era, transitioning from a low-cost carrier (LCC) to a global, full service network carrier with the delivery of Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft in January 2019. Further, WestJet has recently launched an ultra-low cost carrier (ULCC), Swoop, a wholly owned subsidiary, with first flights scheduled in June 2018.
The mission of WestJet is “to enrich the lives of everyone in WestJet's world.” Since inception, WestJet has nurtured its employee-focused culture of care, planning for its culture at the strategic level. WestJet expresses its strong corporate culture and commitment to guest service with the employee slogan “Because Owners Care.” This refers to the fact that approximately 86 percent of eligible employees, referred to as WestJetters, participate in an employee share purchase plan. Tying the personal success of WestJetters to the company’s success helps nurture a corporate culture that is focused on safety, exceptional guest service and cost containment. Further, with an average age of 40, WestJetters are among the youngest across all North American carriers. This has influenced the airline to create an open-minded, communicative and transparent culture.
WestJet has recently unveiled a refreshed set of values, built over the last two years by WestJetters. These values and the behaviours that accompany them will set the stage for global expansion in a way that is uniquely WestJet:
* Act like an Owner: I take responsibility for my decisions and accountability for the outcomes.
* Care from the Heart: I do the right thing and do things right, because I care.
* Rise to the Challenge: I have the courage of a champion, relentless in my pursuit of excellence.
* Work Together to Win: I play my part, connecting as one team. Together we fly.
By keeping a commitment to low costs, WestJet continues to offer value to its people, its shareholders and above all, its guests. It is on these fundamental beliefs that WestJet has built its four-pillar strategy:
* People and Culture: Putting our people first goes beyond fostering an environment of caring and commitment. We are all owners – empowered and accountable for making the right decisions for our guests and our business.
* Operational Excellence: Delivering great guest value is the most important part of what we do. If there is one thing that will continue to separate us from the rest, it is how we treat our guests, and providing the ultimate guest experience.
* Diversified, Sustainable Revenue Growth: Growing strategically and profitably means taking advantage of smart growth opportunities, and understanding the wants and needs of travelers. We will continue to add new destinations and gain market share.
* Financial strength: Keeping our low-cost advantage is simple. We will continue to offer value to our guests and our shareholders by providing the best guest experience in the industry, while achieving a targeted, sustainable profit margin that will be No. 1 among North American airlines.
WestJet’s Investor Day 2017 Presentation is accessible here:
WestJet has reached a critical point of inflection as the Company looks to significantly expand its national and global network. As WestJet becomes a more complex company and faces more challenges through this evolution, we are seeking a Manager, Corporate Learning.
This role is responsible for leadership development, OD support, as well as company-wide compliance related training. This also includes both development and delivery of leadership development programming at all levels (manager to EVP). OD responsibilities include team effectiveness work, coaching, and independent contributor development programs for the organization.
Strong leadership, people skills, communication, business acumen and ability to leverage technology are necessary for success in this role. The Manager, Corporate Learning will work closely with the OD Program Managers on the team as well as external partners.
* Lead and inspire the Corporate Learning team towards exceptional service delivery while exceeding all Key Performance Indicators on a consistent basis
* As a member of the Organizational & People Development team - share knowledge, learning, ideas and feedback in an open and constructive way within the team to contribute to the development of a stronger and aligned Guest-facing organization
* Liaise with business for understanding of training impact, and to support Audit delivery at times to ensure quality and consistency
* Extend and enhance Leadership Development (iLead) and Independent Contributor programming
* Co-facilitate with leaders and support the development of facilitation skills amongst the Global Leadership Team
* Work with Talent management team on program fulfillment such as emerging leader, mentorship programs - delivery content for events as required.
* Create company-wide e-learning to support compliance related training and audit the completion regularly
* Hire, develop/coach team members in roles such as, program manager, facilitator, learning experience, instructional designer
Professional Experience & Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in adult learning, leadership development or business with Masters’ level education is considered an asset
* Must have strong facilitation skills and experience in learning design
* Prior experience leading a team
* Coaching certification and knowledge of current OD practices (certifications ie: DISC; change management, organization design etc.)
* An undergraduate degree in a related field (ie Communications,etc) is required; and
* A strong preference for a related graduate degree (ie Adult Education, OD, Business)
Required Skills, Competencies & Attributes
* Proven leader, with strong facilitation and coaching skills
* Able to influence leadership at all levels
* Comfortable leading in an employee-centric corporate environment; a visible and accessible leader of people as well as a domain expert
* Track record of effective communication with all levels of the organization and ability to build trust and influence stakeholders
* A strong ability to influence without the use authority; evoke trust and work in a collaborative, non-hierarchal manner
* Exudes high integrity and strong ethics; pre-disposed to WestJet’s core values and culture
* Displays solid leadership skills, influencing others with their confident, passionate, and enthusiastic attitude
* A ‘can-do’ attitude, and willing to do what is necessary to get the job done
* Shows humility, and seeks guidance and feedback from others
* Comfortable navigating ambiguity within an environment with multiple and changing priorities; does not become easily frustrated or defeatist
* Results-oriented with a high energy level, espousing a guest service philosophy
* An empathetic leader who is engaged and active with the team
* Able to establish and work towards standards that support multiple business needs
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.