6 months ago
Director Fleet Engineering
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 118 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
The Manager of Avionics Engineering leads a group of engineers responsible for the analysis of fleet reliability issues and improvements to the Avionic systems on Alaska's fleet of B737 aircraft. The engineering team provide answers and information to maintenance, flight operations, inflight, marketing and other Alaska departments. The team also provides direction for resolution of issues on avionic systems for Alaska's B737 fleet.
Scope & Complexity
- This leadership role manages avionics engineering activities for Alaska Airlines (AS).
- Leads the team that evaluates and integrates new avionics systems into our B737 fleet to meet the needs of a rapidly changing consumer and operating environment
- Manages and assigns the disposition of all OEM (Boeing, CFM, etc.) recommendations, Service Bulletins (SBs), Service Letters (SLs) for incorporation into the B737 fleet.
- Drives industry-leading approaches to Alaska's avionics maintenance program. Establishes, builds, and maintains relationships with counterparts at other airlines to ensure industry best practices are applied
- Reviews and approves all engineering control (EC) documents (e.g., engineering orders, engineering authorizations, fleet campaigns, etc.) to direct the incorporation of modifications, improvements, and disposition of line troubleshooting and shop requests, and on occasion created the original EC documents.
- Reviews and approves all AS-specific engineering data for inclusion into required ICAs (instructions for continued airworthiness manuals) for configuration control and required maintenance actions, and on occasion creates the original document data.
- Review applicable federal aviation regulations (FARs) and airworthiness directives (ADs), and ensures prompt approval of resultant generated engineering documentation for 100% compliance.
- Provides timely and effective investigations and analysis with associated written responses (and on occasions, working presentations) for all avionics-related FAA issues.
- Provides Maintenance Control and Engineering Technical Services personnel with troubleshooting assistance for resolution of chronic aircraft avionics issues resulting in a prompt return to revenue service.
- Technically manages the reliability working and report-out meetings (e.g., Maintenance Review Board (MRB) and Reliability Assessment Program (RAP)), including the analysis and presentation of significant events and mechanical reliability data for root cause determination and proposed maintenance program improvements.
- Ensures cost accountability for the avionics engineering group and that all completed modifications and service bulletins are financially justified.
- Ensures the highest level of safety and compliance in all team actions.
- Participates and fully engages in technical conferences (e.g., team meetings and industry conferences) to ensure the most current engineering data is utilized in managing Alaska's B737 fleet.
- Supports the Safety Management System (SMS) within the M&E organization using the SMS policies and procedures as outlined in the Alaska Air Group SMS manual.
- Fosters a culture of engagement, holds self and others accountable through trust and authentic relationships.
- Promotes a high performance culture by cultivating and motivating direct/indirect reports through coaching, mentoring, and by providing regular and meaningful feedback.
- Identifies and provides career development opportunities through developmental assignments and formal/informal training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job-Specific Skills & Education
- A minimum of 10 years of avionics engineering experience (e.g., airline, shop, OEM, etc.) with detailed aircraft operational knowledge (preference: B737 experience).
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, with a focus in engineering (preference is electrical or aerospace), or a combination of other degrees, licenses or experience will be considered in lieu of engineering degree.
- Engineering management or team leadership experience.
- Knowledge of FAA regulations and oversight functions (for both aircraft and engine operating airworthiness certificates).
- Excellent communication skills: verbal (both informal working teams and formal executive presentations), and in clear/concise written documents.
- Capable of performing in a fast-paced environment while simultaneously meeting assigned project deadlines with a self-directed decision-making confidence.
- Ability to interface and maintain effective relationships with division leaders, cross-functional departments, and employees in a team-oriented environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Lean, Six Sigma, or continuous improvement training and certifications.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply on or before: January 23, 2018
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.