11 months ago
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
Today, the fully integrated landing systems we design, test and manufacture help millions of passengers reach their destinations safely. But we aren’t satisfied with today’s success. Our global Landing Systems team is committed to continuous improvement – we work hard to make our solutions lighter-weight, stronger and more technically advanced, so that plane travel can be safer, more affordable and more sustainable in the years to come. We are looking for the best and brightest to fly and land with us!
* Responsible for the ethical, efficient, safe and profitable operation of the Machine Shop department.
* The Operations Manager plans, organizes, directs and controls all departmental operations while meeting safety, quality, on-time delivery, financial, and continuous improvement goals.
* The operations manager creates a high energy positive culture organization by using the core values of trust and respect.
* Drives daily production to meet master schedule requirements.
* Manages resource allocation and overtime to ensure the production demand is met.
* Works closely with all other functions to ensure demand is met by solving operational problems and eliminating bottlenecks.
* Provides timely solutions to operational problems and setbacks.
* Employs continuous improvement tools for real time problem resolution to eliminate bottle necks and barriers to efficient and cost-effective production processes.
* Performs and report to metrics such as budgets, machine hours, cycle time, piece count output, and setup times.
* Develop plans for the control of output, budget spending, labor efficiency and the utilization of department personnel to provide continuous reduction in product cost and a corresponding increase in quality and on-time delivery.
* Successfully manages budgets including developing annual budget and spending plans.
* Develops specific short-term plans and programs for assigned department(s), together with supporting budget requests and financial estimates, which meet strategic long-term objectives of the business.
* Leads and motivates a skilled workforce by focusing on continuous improvement to engage the employees and champions change through innovative thinking and active support of the use of process improvement tools and techniques.
* Leads the organization by using the continuous improvement tools such DIVE, RRCA, Fishbone, and fault tree to improve processes.
* The ideal candidate is a hands on manager who is expected to work closely with employees to identify and implement process improvements such as cycle time reduction, setup reduction, time studies, and overall efficiency.
* Capable of writing capital acquisition requisitions for procuring new capital equipment including justification, financial justification, technical description, system specifications, and equipment quotes.
* Establishes goals for direct reports and regularly reviews performance.
* Takes an active role in identifying training needs, nurturing, challenging and developing both direct and indirect reports in their positions for future opportunities.
* Ensures that the duties, responsibilities, authority and accountability of all reports are defined and understood.
* Operations managers is also a champion for Environmental health and safety (EH&S) by assuming responsibility over one or more of the EH&S programs such as machine guarding or industrial health and safety.
* Observe and follow all environmental, health and safety procedures.
* Have a minimum of one formal, documented, safety talk per month with all direct reports.
* Take preventative action to yield zero accidents.
* Comply with all UTAS EH&S policies and procedures, including personal protective equipment use, housekeeping standards, and EH&S training requirements.
* Adhere to all engineering instructions, standard operation procedures, and all departmental procedures to eliminate process deviations.
* Continuously improve the quality processes while staying ISO compliant.
* Measure and audit critical functions of the departments including compliance audits on all procedures.
* Conduct corrective action review on discrepant parts.
* Minimum of eight (8) years of previous supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment is required. Content area knowledge required.
* Core knowledge requirements include manufacturing processes, machining and process control.
* Operations manager must be knowledgeable of CNC machines to be able to write capital acquisition documents for procuring new capital equipment.
* Administrative efficiency and results oriented required.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word & Excel) required.
* Ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision required.
* Ability to problem solve and exercise creativity to develop and/or implement practical solutions.
* Ability to evaluate his/her work as well as direct reports and exercise judgment.
* Good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
* Able to conduct independent data analysis, manage budgets and deal with ambiguous situations
* Mechanical aptitude desired.
* Experience in lean, six sigma, and continuous improvement
* Experience in managing capital expenses
* Experience in SAP
Nothing matters more to UTC Aerospace Systems than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
* Bachelor’s Degree - Materials, Mechanical, Chemical or Industrial Engineering required
* Master's degree is desired
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.