7 months ago
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether
we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE
Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas into advances in aviation that solve some of the world’s
toughest problems. Join us and you’ll find yourself in a dynamic environment where our ongoing, substantial
investment in research and development keeps us moving forward and looking ahead. At GE, developing people is
embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here you’ll work collaboratively and across functions with the
highest caliber talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. Whether it’s the next generation of
ecomagination products or the future of aircraft engines, we’ve got the state-of-the-art resources to make those
innovations a reality. If you’re passionate about aviation and looking for a career rich with challenges and
unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE in reengineering the sky through aviation
innovations that will impact the globe for generations to come.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE Aviation has an open position for a Patent Attorney based in Evendale, OH. The Patent Attorney will report to GE Aviation’s Chief IP Counsel and General Counsel of Engineering, and be an integral part of the GE Aviation IP Team. The Patent Attorney will develop and execute progressive strategies for procuring high quality IP assets that safeguard GE Aviation’s R&D investments in digital, electrical power systems, and electronics technologies around the world.
* Provide strategic counsel in identifying and developing high quality patent assets that encompass the foundation of GE Aviation’s technological differentiation in the marketplace, and take ownership of IP strategies focused on protecting that competitive advantage;
* Harvest new inventions, review invention disclosures, and partner with GE Aviation’s patent evaluation boards in making strategic decisions on allocating capital for maximizing the strengths of GE Aviation’s IP portfolios;
* Lead the preparation, filing, and prosecution of U.S. patent applications, working closely with inventors, business leaders, and other members of the GE Aviation IP Team to develop high quality application content and strategic claim scope;
* Prepare responses to Office Actions and make patent application secondary filing decisions that maximize the scope of protection in view of GE Aviation’s strategic goals and capital allocation priorities;
* Oversee the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of patent preparation and prosecution activities carried-out by GE’s Aviation’s preferred providers/outside counsel;
* Direct the procurement of patent applications filed internationally;
* Lead and participate in initiatives for increasing productivity and enhancing quality in the protection of GE Aviation’s IP assets.
* Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
* At least 5 additional years of legal experience.
* Must be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
* Must be a member in good standing of the bar of at least one U.S. state.
GE Aviation invests hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D every year, and files and maintains hundreds of patent applications annually in countries around the world to protect the value of those investments. As a result, the successful candidate will be a self-starter eager to partner with the business team to devise and execute global strategies for obtaining patent assets that have maximal impact for the business. Experience understanding important details of, counseling on, and managing large patent portfolios is a must, as is the ability to lead and direct outside counsel and support foreign filing activities.
Other desired characteristics include:
* Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in electrical engineering or computer science is preferred, though degrees in physics, and other hard sciences combined with significant software background may be considered.
* A minimum of 3 years of experience drafting and prosecuting U.S. and global patent applications in the electrical and/or computer science fields.
* Have a demonstrated understanding, command, and continued engagement with U.S. patent laws and regulations, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office practices and procedures, Paris Convention rules and Patent Cooperation Treaty rules and practices;
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently, with other IP counsel, with management, and with business teams in managing global patent portfolios and strategies that advance business objectives and goals;
* Knowledge of laws, regulations, practices and procedures relating to procurement of patents in countries other than the U.S.;
* Experience with establishing and controlling budgets, costs and expenses relating to patent procurement;
* Facility with working collaboratively to solve complex IP problems;
* Demonstrated thought leadership, organizational skills, and business judgment;
* Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills, charisma, decisiveness, poise.
Locations: United States; Ohio; Evendale