6 months ago
Reporting to: Edward (Ed) Sims, President and CEO
Location: Calgary, Canada
Employment Status: Permanent Full-Time
COMPANY BACKGROUND, CULTURE AND VALUES
WestJet (TSX: WJA) is an iconic Canadian brand. Headquartered in Calgary, Canada, WestJet, along with regional carrier WestJet Encore, is Canada’s leading high-value, low-cost carrier. WestJet is continually recognized as one of the top employers in the country and one of Canada’s most admired corporate cultures. In 2017, WestJet celebrated its 50th consecutive quarter of profitability, and was recognized as the only Canadian airline with investment grade credit ratings.
Founded as a regional carrier in Calgary in 1996, with 3 aircraft and 220 employees, WestJet has experienced momentous growth. Today, WestJet is a thriving international airline operated by 13,000+ employees, collectively known as WestJetters. Through scheduled flights across a rapidly expanding network, WestJet also operates WestJet Vacations (providing air, hotel, car and excursion packages), and WestJet Encore (a regional airline operating in Canada and the United States).
WestJet is embarking upon a transformative era, transitioning from a low-cost carrier (LCC) to a global, full service network carrier with the delivery of Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft in January 2019. Further, WestJet has recently launched an ultra-low cost carrier (ULCC), Swoop, a wholly owned subsidiary, with first flights scheduled in June 2018.
The mission of WestJet is “to enrich the lives of everyone in WestJet's world.” Since inception, WestJet has nurtured its employee-focused culture of care, planning for its culture at the strategic level. WestJet expresses its strong corporate culture and commitment to guest service with the employee slogan “Because Owners Care.” This refers to the fact that approximately 86 percent of eligible employees, referred to as WestJetters, participate in an employee share purchase plan. Tying the personal success of WestJetters to the company’s success helps nurture a corporate culture that is focused on safety, exceptional guest service and cost containment. Further, with an average age of 40, WestJetters are among the youngest across all North American carriers. This has influenced the airline to create an open-minded, communicative and transparent culture.
WestJet has recently unveiled a refreshed set of values, built over the last two years by WestJetters. These values and the behaviours that accompany them will set the stage for global expansion in a way that is uniquely WestJet:
* Act like an Owner: I take responsibility for my decisions and accountability for the outcomes.
* Care from the Heart: I do the right thing and do things right, because I care.
* Rise to the Challenge: I have the courage of a champion, relentless in my pursuit of excellence.
* Work Together to Win: I play my part, connecting as one team. Together we fly.
By keeping a commitment to low costs, WestJet continues to offer value to its people, its shareholders and above all, its guests. It is on these fundamental beliefs that WestJet has built its four-pillar strategy:
* People and Culture: Putting our people first goes beyond fostering an environment of caring and commitment. We are all owners – empowered and accountable for making the right decisions for our guests and our business.
* Operational Excellence: Delivering great guest value is the most important part of what we do. If there is one thing that will continue to separate us from the rest, it is how we treat our guests, and providing the ultimate guest experience.
* Diversified, Sustainable Revenue Growth: Growing strategically and profitably means taking advantage of smart growth opportunities, and understanding the wants and needs of travelers. We will continue to add new destinations and gain market share.
* Financial strength: Keeping our low-cost advantage is simple. We will continue to offer value to our guests and our shareholders by providing the best guest experience in the industry, while achieving a targeted, sustainable profit margin that will be No. 1 among North American airlines.
WestJet’s Investor Day 2017 Presentation is accessible here:
Reporting to the President and CEO, the EVP and Chief Commercial Officer (EVP) is responsible for the overall revenue performance of WestJet and WestJet Encore. This includes network and schedule planning, revenue management, sales, distribution, e-commerce, marketing, digital transformation, corporate development, alliances and WestJet Vacations. In this regard, the EVP is responsible for the continued development, implementation and execution of an integrated and cohesive revenue strategy for WestJet as a full service, networked carrier. The EVP’s first year deliverables will include the successful introduction of the 787 fleet, execution of the Delta Joint Venture, and growth of the RBC partnership.
Strategic Planning & Executive Leadership
* Together with the CEO and Executive Leadership Team, shape the corporate strategy, annual business plan and continued growth trajectory for the WestJet group.
* Oversee the continued design and implementation of a cohesive commercial strategy, fully aligned to the broader corporate strategy.
* Oversee all revenue-related functions for the airline and hold ultimate responsibility for the revenue performance of WestJet and WestJet Encore.
* Develop and manage the commercial budget.
* Champion the digital transformation at WestJet, working with the VP, Chief Digital and Innovation Officer (CDIO) to transform and personalize the guest experience at every touch point along their journey.
* In close collaboration with the CDIO and Chief Information Officer, lead the long term strategic planning for all future initiatives and existing digital platforms, including WestJet.com, WestJet Vacations, Mobile, In-flight entertainment portal, and Self-Serve Check-In.
* Oversee the development of WestJet’s corporate rebranding and execution plan.
* Oversee WestJet’s branded portfolio of products and services in close collaboration with Operations, while monitoring competitor activity.
* Oversee the development of WestJet’s advertising strategy and marketing communications program in existing and new markets.
* Oversee the development of WestJet’s evolving loyalty program.
Sales and Distribution
* Oversee the continued development and execution of WestJet’s sales programs to maximize penetration of target segments, including setting aggressive annual revenue targets by market and channel of distribution. Continually monitor revenue performance against targets, taking proactive steps to address projected shortfalls.
* Oversee the distribution management function, ensuring WestJet maintains a highly effective customer relationship management and online distribution presence through its website, and other relevant sales and distribution channels.
* Ensured sustained tracking of major accounts (travel agents, wholesalers and tour operators) and provide measurable ROI on account activity.
* As the commercial representative of WestJet, identify customer issues and needs, ensuring the sales organization is equipped with the tools and resources to address issues expediently.
* Anticipate and proactively address marketplace movements in volume, mix, yield or channel emphasis.
* Provide oversight and guidance to WestJet Vacations leadership to deliver financial results.
* Deliver growing ancillary revenue to WestJet through the implementation of a new Dynamic Packaging solution to increase margin from hotel and other land products.
* Drive the strategic growth of WestJet Vacations to support WestJet’s growing domestic, transborder and international network.
* Oversee the revenue management function, including pricing and yield management, ensuring WestJet maintains a market-responsive and customer-centric approach.
* Optimize the airline’s profitability through the deployment of progressive revenue management practices.
* Maintain currency on state-of-the-art and leading-edge technology, programs and processes for improved pricing and yield management.
Network Planning, Corporate Development and Alliances
* Lead the continued development of the airline’s network growth strategy with oversight of the network planning function. Identify and introduce new routes, leading the evaluation, selection and integration into the network.
* Oversee the design of the network and schedule for WestJet Encore, ensuring seamless coordination with the mainline network.
* Oversee the identification, negotiation and execution of strategic partnerships, joint ventures and alliances. Maintain focus on a strategy of fewer, yet deeper relationships.
* Negotiate and manage various commercial agreements with third parties, including capacity purchase agreements with regional carriers.
* Accountable for the successful execution of WestJet’s code-share strategy, including growing and optimizing airline partnerships.
* Develop and update the current and long-range fleet plan, maximizing airline profitability through the deployment of fleeting tools to ensure optimal aircraft allocation. Develop aircraft allocation plans aligned to both commercial and operational requirements.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
* A minimum of 5+ years of senior executive leadership experience leading the commercial (revenue) function of a full service networked carrier, or a significant subsidiary.
* A track record of generating profitable revenue growth, with accountability for a P&L, leading an airline to profitable growth through the execution of a complex commercial strategy.
* Expertise around airline marketing, sales, digital transformation and partnerships (alliances, J/Vs) with a foundation as an airline commercial generalist. This includes direct prior exposure to network planning, revenue management, distribution, e-commerce, and rewards.
* Experience leading a commercial portfolio through new fleet introduction.
* Experience across a variety of geographic, cross-border markets characterized by overcapacity, competitive pricing and aggressive marketing practices.
* Strong business and financial acumen, ideally complemented by experience in functions such as Finance or Operations.
* Experienced with delivering presentations to Board of Directors and other senior parties including but not limited to government entities and airport authorities.
* Experienced representing the organization to internal and external constituents, including but not limited to media, partners and vendors, employee associations and community groups.
* A post-secondary undergraduate degree in a relevant field is required, preferably complemented by an MBA or related graduate degree.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
* Blends a long-term, strategic outlook and orientation with the ability, willingness and humility to “roll up their sleeves” as needed.
* Exhibits strong C-level leadership and a high degree of cross-functional cooperation, with the ability and inclination to influence without relying on the use of positional authority.
* Has demonstrated the ability to identify, attract, develop and retain top talent, maintaining strong engagement across high performing teams. Actively contributes to talent management and succession planning programs.
* Exudes high integrity and strong ethics; pre-disposed to WestJet’s core values and culture.
* Comfortable leading in an employee-centric corporate environment; a visible and accessible leader of people as well as a domain expert.
* A strong oral and written communicator with the ability to communicate complex concepts simply.
* As a solutions-oriented leader, fosters a culture of creativity, innovation, common sense and proactivity.
A competitive compensation package will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications.
This position is eligible for a performance bonus as per WestJet’s compensation policy and the Total Rewards program that includes the following: extended health, emergency travel medical, dental, vision, short-term disability (STD), long-term disability (LTD), life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) & travel benefits. This position is also eligible for relocation assistance.
Please note the position is based at WestJet headquarters in Calgary, with domestic and international travel required as necessary. The successful candidate is expected to relocate to Calgary.
Please submit your application via the WestJet website:
Inquiries can be forwarded to Kara Watson, subject: “EVP and Chief Commercial Officer” to email@example.com
The position will remain posted until the successful candidate is identified.
No agency calls please.
WestJet An Alberta Partnership
22 Aerial Place NE
Calgary, AB T2E 3J1
WestJet is Canada's most preferred airline, operating over one hundred aircraft to destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. We are recognized as a Top Employer in Canada and our more than 10,000 employees work hard to ensure we maintain our position as one of Canada's most respected corporate cultures. With the launch of WestJet Encore, we will continue our steady growth by offering flights and jobs to more cities in Canada.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.