7 months ago
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics Corporation, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Engineering Manager (Max-Viz)
Astronics Max-Viz is at the forefront of developing innovative next-generation enhanced vision systems for a wide range of fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft. Our focused engineering team is small, yet we are part of a larger resourced organization noted for global leadership in aerospace, defense, consumer electronics and semiconductors. We offer a dynamic hands-on work environment where our new Engineering Manager will work on comprehensive solutions to enhanced vision that will provide pilots with a higher level of safety and situational awareness. We are located in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area - a picturesque area offering outdoor pursuits and an active lifestyle.
The purpose of this position is to plan and manage all aspects of engineering and certification activities within the organization. Including, but not limited to: research, development, and certification of company products; supporting other departments inside the organization; and, coordinating with vendors and customers as necessary.
The duties, responsibilities, and expectations shown below are primary to this function and not meant to be an all-inclusive list. At times, this role will be requested to perform higher or lower level activities as necessary to support the overall success of the company.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will need to be able to travel to meet customers, visit supplier facilities, attend conferences, and visit other Astronics locations throughout the world.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Sets overall objectives for engineering projects including schedules and costs.
* Manages product design from planning to market introduction.
* Actively participates as a technical and regulatory advisor to the entire team and customers as required.
* Coordinates with operations on: new product introductions into manufacturing; and, support the manufacturing and repair of existing products.
* Supports customer & supplier presentations on technology and applications.
* Contributes to the setting and attainment business strategies, objectives, and budgets.
* Oversees and manages customer technical support activities as required.
* Systems Engineering activities include: Writing specifications, DO-160 test plans and reports, DO-178B and DO-254 documentation; conduct DO-160 testing; and, create system level bill of materials (BOMs).
* Hardware Engineering activities include: Design complex electronic circuit assemblies (including FPGAs and microcontrollers) that minimize RF emissions and associated issues; troubleshoot complex electronic circuits; write and approve production documents; coordinate prototype builds; and, guide mechanical engineers on camera packaging and assembly.
* Software Engineering activities include write, modify, and debug microcontroller and FPGA code; and, write and implement image processing algorithms.
* FAA accountable manager - contact for all regulatory issues, and is primary MIDO interface.
* Write and submit PSCP's for Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs); manage STC documentation.
* Write and submit Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA) applications including PMA supplements
* Engage and hire FAA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DARs) as necessary
* Conformity Inspections
* Write 8130-3 for new products and return to service tags
* Engage and hire FAA Designated Engineering Representatives (DERs) as necessary
This position may require knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 (SOX / 404) internal audit controls and related documentation; and. may be responsible for the performance of various functions that are an integral part of the Company's overall SOX / 404 internal control structure.
Manages engineering personnel.
* Responsible for the overall management, coordination, and evaluation of each team member.
* Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
* Responsibilities also include:
* Interviewing, hiring, and training employees;
* Planning, assigning, and managing work;
* Appraising performance of direct reports in a timely manner;
* Coaching and goal-setting for direct reports;
* Rewarding and disciplining employees when necessary; and,
* Addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, & EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an accredited US college or university.
* Electrical or Aeronautical degree preferred.
* Advanced degree in engineering, engineering management, and/or business preferred.
Astronics / Max-Viz is a Microsoft Office based working environment. Familiarity in the following software packages is expected:
* Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
* Microsoft Project (or another Windows-based project management software package).
In addition to the computer skills shown above, the following abilities are required for this position:
* Information gathering: Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
* Writing ability: Write detailed and summary reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
* Presentation skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, employees, and the general public.
* Mathematics ability: Work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry; and, the ability to apply concepts of such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical solutions.
* Problem solving: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
* Problem analysis and problem resolution at both strategic and functional level.
* Following Instructions: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in oral, diagram or schedule form.
* Organization: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
* Customer Service: Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; and, meets commitments.
* Teamwork: Gains trust and cooperation of others through transparency and quality communication; accepts constructive criticism; is considerate and tactful in dealing with others; eagerly provides assistance to others; displays strong work ethic and integrity in all activities; and supports the organization’s effort to succeed.
* Professionalism: – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; and, follows through on commitments.
* Continuous Improvement: Actively seeks out opportunities to improve work processes and product; identifies inefficiencies in work processes and implements changes that reduce waste, improve accuracy, and meet delivery time; displays the ability to quantify the positive impact of implemented changes.
* Quality: Displays understanding of Astronics / Max-Viz’s Quality Policy; is thorough, accurate and carefully attends to detail; completes tasks and responds in a timely manner; delivers results and manages projects according to established timelines; completes tasks according to standards; and, seeks ways to exceed standards and continuously improve work quality.
* Quantity: Completes work in timely manner with respect to deadlines, customer commitments, and quality.
* Minimum requirement: 10 (ten) years of experience in an aviation or aerospace design and development environment; with 5 (five) years in a supervisory, management, or leadership role.
* Preferred experience:
* Design, development, and certification of Infrared imaging and/or enhanced vision systems;
* 2-5 years of project and/or program management;
* Leadership of cross-functional teams in a development environment.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.