7 months ago
Engineering Lab Supervisor (2018-006)
About the Organization
Astronics is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products and services include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, seat motion solutions, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, systems certification and automated test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Engineering Lab Supervisor (2018-006)
Engineering Lab Supervisor 2018-006
Astronics Advanced Electronic Systems (AES) is a division of Astronics Corporation (ATRO). AES is an industry leader in aircraft electrical power systems, including generation and distribution. Our markets include commercial transport (Boeing and Airbus), business jet (several), and military platforms. We are the world leader in in-seat power for laptops and other devices with our EMPOWER® product line. We are also a leading innovator of electronic circuit breakers and power distribution systems for business jets with our COREPOWER® product line. Astronics’ revenues have grown at 28% average growth rate over the last 5 years. AES, based in Kirkland Washington, has over 500 employees, and has won awards as the best place to work on the Seattle Eastside for 11 years consecutively.
The overriding business objective for the Engineering Lab Supervisor will be supporting engineering development program milestones.
The key performance objectives for this position are described below.
* Working Lab is a Customer Showcase: Top level customers visit Astronics on an almost weekly basis. In addition to being a functional lab, it is a showcase for our systems engineering capability and technology development. Technical demonstrations that explain the benefits to our customers of advanced power systems are expected to be held with a few hours notification. Within 90 days, the lab will be a showcase of organization and professionalism. The successful leader will have a passion for organization, efficiency, and effective communication, both to customers and technicians alike.
* Workforce Planning and Management: Plan for and secure the right people with the right skills to execute on current and future development programs. Be able to prioritize and direct daily activities of a staff of 10-20 engineering technicians. Have the flexibility and adaptive nature to overcome issues, while effectively delegating tasks to others. Be an exceptional planner, being comfortable operating in a time span between 6 to 24 months. An action oriented, get things done type of person committed to success and accountability while making good decisions is critical to success in the lab manager positon.
* Performance Management and Coaching: This is a people manager position, requiring a positive and inspirational leader to the engineering lab team, as well as performing the duties associated with the position; Talent Acquisition, Talent Development and Talent Management. This position requires a person capable of setting expectations, providing encouragement, providing and accepting constructive feedback, acknowledging and acting upon that feedback. The overall goal is to hold employees accountable to ensure efforts are aligned with and achieve business outcomes. Emotional connections in communication is desired to reinforce actions that accomplish expectations, eliminate wasted activity, and build cooperation with other parts of the organization. The successful lab manager must be able to have the hard conversations with employees to align them with job performance and values and behaviors as required.
* Growth and Mentorship: Take ownership for identifying and building talent, stimulating and encouraging ideas – giving others a voice, supporting employee development, recognizing employee contributions and communicating with staff about the positive impact on the business. Communicate the company vision including values and behaviors often, build and share networks, and implement best practices to ensure high levels of employee engagement. Astronics is a place where people can grow their career. Foster employee growth via active mentorship, training, and strategic work assignments.
* Best Practices and Process Rigor: Instill rigor in the engineering lab processes consistent with flight critical hardware development. Act with integrity as a company agent and steward of company resources to protect and ensure the business prospers. Help to develop and administer company policies and programs fairly and consistently to ensure full compliance and a high level of employee trust in the organization.
10 years in electrical technical work, either as a technician, engineer, or a similar field
8 years related experience including a minimum of 3 years in a leadership position
Education: Minimum AA degree and BS in electronics engineering preferred.
In summary, the successful candidate will have a significant impact to the growth of Astronics. This is an exciting leadership position within a dynamic company that is excited about the long-term growth of aircraft electrical power systems and the long-term career development that can coincide with that growth.
Eligibility Requirement: Must be a US Person (under ITAR rules) to be eligible
Astronics AES is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
Astronics AES is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please or call: . We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.