3 months ago
L3 WESCAM is an exciting company providing systems that capture stabilized, high-magnification images from fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV, aerostat and ground based platforms. From low-altitude tactical missions to long-range covert surveillance missions, images are transmitted in real-time to fixed and mobile receive locations for immediate interpretation. WESCAM's MX-Series of Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR), laser, surveillance and targeting systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defense/Military, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Our dominance of the airborne platform space has positioned us for explosive and game changing growth into ground-based markets.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools, alongside some of the best thought leaders in our industry, in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule) in addition to regular vacation and public holidays, free on-site gym, free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, a strong focus on continuing education and much more. Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about the history of WESCAM...
Tasks to be Accomplished
* Actively participate in the development of complex Electro-Optical sub-assemblies such as digital imaging systems, thermal imaging systems and laser positioning systems.
* Active member of New Product Introduction (NPI) teams, supporting the development of modern Electro-Optical sub-assemblies from concept to production.
* Verification of proposed design solutions via a combination of analyses and tests.
* Actively support the manufacturing organization to ensure proper knowledge transfer, timely resolution of design issues and effective test methodologies development.
* Support design improvements of established Electro-Optical modules.
* Collaborate closely with other team members from Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Systems Engineering and Operations to ensure high quality of design solutions.
* Generation of related documentation including analyses summary, specification documents, test reports.
* Development and testing of sophisticated image processing algorithms using Matlab.
* Participate in and present results at design review meetings related to new Electro-Optical modules.
* Keep up-to-date knowledge of Electro-Optical industry trends and new technologies that may be relevant to Wescam’s business.
* Strong knowledge of basic optics principles:
* Laser Systems
* Geometrical Optics, Imaging, Lens Design
* Electro-magnetic waves propagation
* Thin-film optical coatings
* Familiarity with various image sensor technologies (CCD, CMOS, Thermal Imagers, etc)
* Strong analytical and mathematical skills, proficient with Matlab or a similar language
* Proficient in optics and electronics lab environments
* Understanding of analog and digital video concepts:
* Color science
* NTSC & PAL standards
* Digital video standards
* Resolution and sensitivity measurements (MRTD, MRC, NETD, MTF, etc)
* Familiar with a wide range of engineering fields (mainly Mechanical, Electrical & Software)
* Knowledge of Optical Design software (CodeV or Zemax) an asset
* Knowledge of range performance modelling tools (Modtran, NVTherm, SSCam, etc) an asset
Experience & Education Requirements
* Bachelor’s degree of Engineering Physics or equivalent
* 3-5 years professional experience in a similar role is preferred
* Graduate degree in a related field an asset
The salary range for this role is between $81,099.20 and $100,000 per year plus full company paid group benefits including life insurance, dental, vision and medical coverage and short term disability insurance. RRSP matching up to 4% of salary. Wescam also offers relocation assistance and 3 weeks vacation to start for this position.
Location of work: Burlington, Ontario
649 North Service Road West
Terms of Employment: Full-Time, Permanent
* L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
**Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Division L-3 Wescam