8 months ago
Electrical Systems Engineer III
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, engineering design and systems certification, and automatic test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics Corporation, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Electrical Systems Engineer III (Armstrong)
Provides electrical/system component and installation design solutions required to support the installation design and certification of systems and equipment onboard commercial aircraft. Employee is recognized as an expert and internal consultant within the company in a particular electrical/systems specialty.
In some projects, will be responsible to use understanding of aircraft avionics systems and requirements in developing complex system architectures with the project engineering and electrical design teams. Development may include supporting the evaluation of use cases, deriving requirements, performing trade studies, conducting market analyses, and defining system solutions that satisfy customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Work with customers and vendors to understand line replaceable unit (LRU) operating and installation specifications and requirements
* Work with national and global engineering teams to understand system architecture and functionality, as well as the integration and interaction of the system/equipment with the aircraft
* Perform the necessary aircraft manual research to source power, identify and source the appropriate discrete and ARINC 429 signals from existing avionics LRU’s onboard the aircraft, and identify open disconnect positions
* Develop components and system installations to satisfy competing design requirements including: cost, schedule, manufacturability, etc.
* Develop parts lists/Bills of Materials for piece-part, assembly and installation drawings
* Develop pin-to-pin wire diagrams and the associated cable and harness manufacturing drawings needed to integrate the electrical system architecture from the LRU specifications/requirements, interconnectivity documents, and/or block diagrams
* Produce piece-part, assembly and installation drawings requisite to effectively communicate manufacturing data and installation design
* Conduct aircraft surveys to facilitate component and installation design as well as identify potential installation challenges associated with the existing aircraft structure and retrofit installs
* Act as Lead Engineer on programs and interface with customer on technical issues and during design reviews
* Work with aircraft mechanical and installation teams to troubleshoot system installation and operation problems as well as support certification and operability testing
* Review and Approve designs and documents created by others
* Work with customers and vendors to develop requirements definition, which may include multiple systems with competing requirements
* Perform functional decomposition of requirements
* Support Project Engineering and Electrical Engineering in performing trade studies by evaluating systems functions, hardware and software requirements, and hardware and software costs
* Support Project Engineering and Electrical Engineering in developing detailed system interface documentation
* Support Project Engineering as needed in creating requirements specifications and detailed interface documents for mechanical / electrical assemblies and software
* Support the technical and requirements aspects of market analysis
* Regular mentoring of less senior employees
This position may require knowledge of SOX / 404 internal audit controls and related documentation
Education and/or Experience
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Systems Engineering, or in a related technical and/or equivalent field
* 6+ years of experience working in an electrical design capacity
* 6+ Years experience in the aviation/aerospace or similar industry
* Familiarity and/or experience working with a 2D CAD package
* Familiarity and/or experience developing piece-part, assembly and/or installation drawings
* 3+ years of experience in defining systems, customer, or regulatory requirements for complex integration platforms
* Experience working alone and with teams to perform system and subsystem level design tasks
* Outstanding written and oral communications skills, including presentations
* Understanding of human factors concepts for maintenance and operational tasks
* Understanding of DO-160 or similar qualification standards
* 10+ years of experience working in an electrical design capacity
* 10+ Years experience in the aviation/aerospace or similar industry
* Experience with review and approval of electrical designs created by others
* Systems engineering experience with Part 25 commercial aircraft
* Experience working directly with commercial airlines operators (e.g. United, Delta, Southwest, etc.)
* Experience with industry standard systems engineering tools (DOORS, Rhapsody (SysML), Core, etc.)
* Experience with lifecycle cost analysis
* Expertise in at least one of the following: SATCOM/datalinks, IP Based Networks (wired and wireless), IT Security, Avionics, Aircraft Integration
Astronics Armstrong Aerospace (1437)
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.