9 months ago
Director, Functional & Executive Communications
Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems
Job ID 53605BR Date posted 09/13/City Charlotte
State North Carolina
UTC Aerospace Systems is looking for a game changing communications leader who is ready to lead a new era of employee communications at the industry’s largest Aerospace Systems company. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the leader of Functional and Executive Communication is responsible for developing the strategy, planning and development, execution and measurement of UTC Aerospace Systems’ internal and executive communications program across multiple channels. Leading a team of functional communication client managers, this important leadership position will lead the change for a new style of communications, creating communication platforms to drive and influence UTC Aerospace Systems’ culture, improve employee engagement, and support our business objectives through consistent messages directed to employees, leaders, and other internal stakeholders.
The leader will work closely with the News & Internal Communications team on editorial planning and story generation, channel development and management, and enterprise campaigns. They will also work along-side other integrated communications team members, executive leadership and UTC Aerospace Systems’ business units and functions to ensure alignment and coordination of all internal communication strategies and messages. The position will form solid partnerships with our external marketing and communication leadership to ensure alignment with our external and internal messaging and positioning. This role will provide leadership to grow and develop a team of communications professionals, with a focus on coaching the team to deliver communications excellence, collaboration and support.
* Provides strategic communications leadership for key UTC Aerospace Systems projects and initiatives, developing communications plans, establishing goals and developing deliverables via defined channels to meet project objectives.
* Aligns and integrates internal communications plans and messages across multiple business units and functions.
* Establishes and implements an Executive Communications program, working with executive office and multi-functional communications team to build an effective suite of internal and external leadership positioning and brand-building opportunities.
* Provides communications counsel to leaders and co-workers in support of internal initiatives and issues management.
* Creates an effective measurement program to effectively measure communication benchmarks and milestones for success.
* Builds, manages and leads a high-performing internal communications team, providing support, direction and coaching, while also establishing standard service level agreements based on resourcing plans and business goals. Identify and mature professional development opportunities for the team.
* Partner with HR on shaping the employee experience, including Employee Value Proposition and Employer Branding positioning and activation across the enterprise.
* Works to establish strong internal partnerships across the Strategic Business Units in support of effective and aligned internal communications.
* Foster innovation to effectively reach target audiences, while ensuring appropriate balance of electronic and two-way communications. Work with UTC Communications team on digital communications strategy development and implementation.
Experience / Qualifications
* Minimum of 7 - 10 years of progressive experience in leading internal communications; demonstrated track record for success
* Minimum of seven to ten years of experience in building, supervising and mentoring a team
* Deep knowledge of internal communications strategies and channels, including effective use of digital and video communications
* International business and communications experience
* Aerospace industry experience preferred but not required
* Ability to lead a team that is both local and virtual
* Healthy sense of humor, positive outlook and lover of all things team
Education / Certifications
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, English, marketing or similar area of study
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.