about 1 year ago
Managing Director, E-commerce
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 115 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
Alaska Airlines is seeking a digital leader to be responsible for the team that will plan, design, and build next generation experiences for our guests. Initially you will be responsible for the airport kiosk and web offerings our guests use to obtain boarding passes, print bag tags, obtain seat assignments, validate identification and purchase upgrades. These systems are critical to ensuring our guests have hassle free experiences when they travel while also helping our airport teammates provide excellent service. This role is based in Burlingame, CA, away from our Seattle headquarters. This leader will see working in a remote office as an opportunity to innovate and exchange best practices with the established teams at the mother ship.
Scope & Complexity
- This leadership role is an influential, highly visible, and critical part of the E-commerce organization. The role acts as a strategic leader overseeing a cross-functional team consisting of product management, software engineering, and design to routinely deliver new capabilities to our guests.
- Forms and fosters a cross-functional digital delivery team to build hassle-free e-commerce solutions for Alaska guests.
- Attracts and retains talented teammates and supports them in achieving their career goals.
- Harmonizes the team's talents based on business demand and ensures their skills keep pace with the changing digital landscape.
- Manages the mix of full-time, contract and near/offshore talent based on demand and budget.
Product and Investment and Delivery
- Creates product metrics and goals and leads the team to build a roadmap and investment strategy to deliver against them.
- Promotes a vision and roadmap to key stakeholders occasionally engaging in constructive debate.
- Shapes and manages the delivery system the team uses to routinely deliver increments of guest-facing business value.
- Encourages the team to apply best practices in software architecture, delivery tools and practices to improve productivity and quality.
- Fosters the use of agile principles like incremental delivery, collaborative planning and continuous improvement.
- Ensures team members stay current with relevant digital, airline industry and competitive trends.
- Selects and manages key vendors as needed.
- Ensures the team creates simple, consistent, relevant and engaging digital experiences for our guests leveraging existing brand and digital style guides and design systems.
- Holds the team to a high standard of quality to minimize the introduction of defects and ensure they are detected and repaired quickly.
- Maintains processes and systems to ensure high service availability and that any issues that arise are quickly detected and resolved.
- Proactively partners with peer leaders in e-commerce to align with the team's best practices, avoid duplication of effort and show a united front to our guests and stakeholders.
- Collaborates with leaders in the IT division to plan changes, manage infrastructure needs and ensure systems are reliable.
- Partners closely with Airport Operations to understand and achieve their guest-facing, operational and productivity goals.
- Represents Alaska Airlines in partnership with digital companies and thought-leaders in the Bay Area.
Job-Specific Skills & Education
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with some time spent in an e-commerce delivery discipline (e.g. product management, software engineering or design).
- Minimum of 5 years of direct management responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience influencing the practices cross-functional e-commerce delivery teams.
- Experience participating as a leader in an agile product delivery organization preferably using Scrum.
- Demonstrated history of delivering new digital capabilities to market and measuring their success
- Ability to prioritize well, communicate clearly and drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented, opinionated team
- Desire to work as a servant leader who creates an environment where empowered team members deliver their best
- A Bachelor of Art or a Bachelor of Science degree in related field is required.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Knowledge of the airline and/or travel industries and related products and technologies
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Proactive leader with a demonstrated ability to oversee a portfolio of complex and transformative E-commerce projects.
- Demonstrated track record of effectively leading/working with cross-functional teams, driving meaningful changes, and developing and mentoring others.
- Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.