4 months ago
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
Today, the fully integrated landing systems we design, test and manufacture help millions of passengers reach their destinations safely. But we aren’t satisfied with today’s success. Our global Landing Systems team is committed to continuous improvement – we work hard to make our solutions lighter-weight, stronger and more technically advanced, so that plane travel can be safer, more affordable and more sustainable in the years to come. We are looking for the best and brightest to fly and land with us!
At UTC Aerospace Systems, we believe that innovation starts with our people. That’s why we have over 8,000 engineers located in 70 sites around the globe, across 14 countries. But our Engineering organization is not just a collection of individual businesses. We use our size and expertise to create system solutions that work across all our product lines.
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our Engineering ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies. Together, we will move the world forward!
Lead the division-wide design engineering organization, responsible for design compliance, design audits, design philosophies, design engineering manual maintenance, and training, mentoring and providing concurrent guidance and input throughout all phases of product design. Accountable for budgeting for the Chief Design Engineer group and identifying staffing and execution for all engineering aspects related to the group.
Responsibility A: Compliance, Engineering Audits, and Continuous Improvement 30%
* Participate and/or chair internal design reviews, ensure reviews are effective and product-applicable.
* Identify and close gaps in engineering methodology and/or product design through the management of the lessons learned database and design manuals
* Manage the engineering corrective action board and corrective action process in accordance with applicable policies
* Review and approve Landing Gear corrective action investigations and support Central Engineering initiatives in escapes management
* Manage internal and external engineering audits to ensure cadence and oversight is being maintained in accordance with Landing Gear policies
* Provide guidance on application of the design review, design assessment/audit, NAR and peer review processes to NPI programs and In-Production redesign programs
* Work with all members of the CEO to ensure process gaps are identified and eliminated
Responsibility B: Development of engineering philosophies and engineering design manual maintenance 30%
* Ensure engineering design manuals are maintained on a regular basis to achieve:
* Linkage to corrective actions
* Linkage to lessons learned database
* Linkage to innovation
* Linkage to IT technology progression
Responsibility C: People management, Resource, and budgetary planning 15%
* Develop departmental budget inputs to Chief Engineer Office budget
* Develop and maintain yearly headcount budget for Chief Design Engineer group
* Develop and maintain macro plan for applicable Chief Office swimlanes
* Manages and provides guidance to Principal Design & Innovation Engineers through:
* Performance/Connect meetings
* Facilitation of Individual Development Plans (IDP)
* Support development of Landing Gear cultural initiatives through the use of 4 Gears philosophies
* Developing and managing training matrices and training plans
Responsibility D: Training, mentoring and providing concurrent guidance and input throughout all phases of product design 25%
* Support engineering training and mentoring considering:
* Engineering manual updates
* Concurrent review process for new product and major change design
* Engineering procedures (e.g. Requirements management, RRCA, DFMEA, etc.)
* Supporting all engineering areas and functions including In-Production, In-Service, Aftermarket, GEC, and NPI Engineering
* Problem Resolution
* Conduct review/participates in Engineering investigations to ensure robust Root Cause and Corrective Action
Qualification: Knowledge/ Skills
* Minimum of 15 years of experience in the design and certification of landing gear design.
* Minimum of 5 years leading landing gear design programs.
* Minimum of 5 years experience providing accurate estimates for completion of design activities on new projects.
* Comprehensive knowledge of Landing Gear designs and manufacturing methods.
* Detailed knowledge of landing gear configuration and preliminary design.
* Established technical relationships and knowledge of major airframe customers.
* Knowledge of stress/fatigue/performance analysis of aerospace products.
* Project Management Skills.
* Proficiency in MS Project as well as MS Office software.
* Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
* Comprehensive knowledge of design, qualification, analysis techniques and manufacturing methods.
* Knowledge of Airworthiness regulations related to specific systems.
Background check and/or drug screen notification
Nothing matters more to UTC Aerospace Systems than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
* Background check required (re-hires who have been gone for <1 year)
* Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
* B.S. In Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.