6 months ago
Director of Airport Development
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 118 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
The Airport Design and Construction Manager III provides project management support for Airport Affairs and Development-focused initiatives that generally involve coordination between multiple stakeholders, both within and outside of the Alaska Air Group and its various divisions. This role will be at times the subject matter expert on design, construction, or facilities management, and at other times this role is the company owner's representative.
Scope & Complexity
- This position supports airport affairs and development project management activities for Alaska Air Group (AAG) and its subsidiaries.
- Manages projects to design, develop, and implement new and updated physical facilities, incorporating appropriate process improvement principles.
- Leads teams in project execution and ensures the project follows established company project management methodologies, standards, and best practices.
- Effectively oversees performance of all contractors and reviews architectural and engineering drawings to ensure that all requirements are met.
- Solicits facilities build-out and maintenance support work from contractors and other vendors, assuring compliance with company standards.
- Drafts and negotiates related contracts.
- Partners with Architectural & Engineering, and related construction service providers, to be certain that the airline's brand-driven design principles are fully incorporated into new and remodeled space.
- Develops project plans, charters, and schedules that support business needs.
- Works with sponsor(s) and other stakeholders to define the objectives, scope, and project deliverables.
- Negotiates with organizational management to obtain required project resources.
- Manages project schedule and progress to ensure projects fulfill the objectives of the charter and are completed on time and within budget.
- Communicates project status to participants and stakeholders in writing.
- Effectively motivates and manages project teams and vendors.
- Manages costs by providing variance analysis and recommendations to remain within budget.
- Partners with FP&A to ensure effective cost and variance reporting.
- Organizes meetings with various work teams to collect and disseminate project information, plan and schedule tasks and resources, generate timelines, and structure a process for consensus and individual commitment for deliverables.
- Works with the business to identify project and organizational risks to and build mitigation plans.
- Anticipates and monitors for issues while working with stakeholders to resolve active issues in a dynamic and evolving environment.
- Identifies and escalates unresolved problems or possible timeline issues, along with recommended actions for correction.
- Identifies opportunities to expedite project delivery, reduce cost, and/or enhance business results.
- Works with business leaders to translate business strategies into project roadmaps that achieve AAGs strategic goals.
- Proactively assesses the intended audience and customizes communication(s) that results in impactful and effective presentations.
- Serves as a consultant to sponsors on their business goals and objectives.
Job-Specific Skills & Education
- A minimum of 3 years of field experience in the building/construction industry in a project management role; experience to include all elements of scope, schedule, budgeting, risk evaluation, issue resolution, quality, integration, staffing and communications.
- Experience facilitating the creation of project metrics by establishing a method for tracking.
- Knowledge/understanding of:
- The capital budgeting process and basic financial principles.
- Supply chain management process and principles.
- Building department infrastructure and permit process and ability to work effectively in this environment.
- Change management and organizational change.
- Ability to:
- Communicate clearly and succinctly, both verbally and in writing.
- Work under pressure and simultaneously coordinate numerous activities and groups of people who need to cooperate to achieve efficiency.
- Establish cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and stakeholder groups.
- Must be a self-starter, able to step into fast-paced work environment, with confidence and know-how.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability and willingness to travel as required by business needs.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- 3-5 years of experience assisting or supervising small to mid-sized construction projects of increasing complexity.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree with a focus in construction management or related field.
- Understanding of the building department infrastructure and permit process, and ability to work effectively in this environment.
- Experience in aviation industry (i.e., airline, airport).
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody the Alaska Spirit and conduct oneself with Professionalism, Integrity, Resourcefulness and Caring
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply on or before: 1/12/18
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.