11 months ago
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It's a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Posting Open Date: November 6, 2017
Posting Close Date: November 19, 2017 (Please note the posting will close at 11:59pm)
Reporting to the Lead – Medical and Regulatory, Guest Experience, the Senior Advisor, Medical Desk serves as the internal medical authority for guests and supports WestJet and WestJet Encore’s guest with medical needs programs. In this role you will be responsible for the review and adjudication of all approval-based guest medical programs using information from the guest, their medical team, evidence-based research, and clinical practice experience. As part of supporting a seamless guest experience you will liaise with internal teams across the company to ensure operational guest readiness.
As the Senior Advisor - Medical Desk you will:
* Fairly adjudicate guest applications to WestJet and WestJet Encore’s medical programs and overall fitness for commercial air travel against established program guidelines.
* Contact guests and/or members of their medical team and search and collect medical research to support evidence-based adjudications of guest fitness to fly and requests for medical accommodations.
* Research, establish and maintain objective, evidence-based criteria for the consistent adjudication of guest medical accommodations and fitness to fly applications in accordance with associated regulatory requirements.
* Work with team members and guest facing operational teams to ensure operational readiness to ensure seamless travel for guests with complex medical needs.
* Provide guidance, support and direction to the Medical Desk Agents regarding their work and daily task management.
* Produce, maintain and report on statistics regarding all elements of WestJet’s guest medical programs to assess program volumes and trending at senior organizational levels.
* Be part of the team responsible for representation of WestJet's medical adjudication processes and standards in the event of formal guest inquiries or complaints submitted to various regulatory agencies.
An ideal applicant will possess these essential qualifications and skills:
* Must be a Registered Nurse (RN) in good standing with a Canadian provincial nursing registration college; preference for Canadian Nurses Association specialty certification in either Critical Care Nursing, Emergency Nursing, or Medical-Surgical Nursing.
* Minimum of six years of clinical practice experience in emergency or acute care environments; preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in aero-medical environments such as flight nursing or air ambulance.
* Knowledge of a large variety of human health conditions with preference for the understanding of the interaction of health conditions at altitude.
* Working knowledge of the regulatory environment surrounding guest medical needs with respect to commercial air travel within Canada and the United States would be an asset.
* Demonstrated ability to make complex decisions against defined program guidelines through the collection and review of information from a variety of sources.
* Apply critical thinking and/or engage appropriate stakeholders to determine guest eligibility and operational handling for complex requirements where existing program guidelines are not yet established.
* A positive and passionate personality with the ability to establish rapport with WestJet guests and their personal medical team while collecting sensitive medical information and de-escalating conflict as necessary.
* Must display a high level of attention to detail in a fast paced environment.
* Intermediate to advanced proficiency with computers and experience working within a Windows-based environment, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer/Google Chrome.
* Familiarity or proficiency with Up-To-Date®, MedGate and incident reporting software would be an asset.
* Fluency in English (verbal, reading and writing), with a preference to candidates who are also fluent in French (verbal, reading and writing), especially French medical terminology and abbreviations.
WestJet is Canada's most preferred airline, operating over one hundred aircraft to destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. We are recognized as a Top Employer in Canada and our more than 10,000 employees work hard to ensure we maintain our position as one of Canada's most respected corporate cultures. With the launch of WestJet Encore, we will continue our steady growth by offering flights and jobs to more cities in Canada.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.