profile image
Tristan Orr
Change of career into aircraft engineer

Hi all,

So I'm 32 and have grown up around aircraft as my father was in the RAF. I attempted to join as a Pilot but sadly missed out on the Aptitude test by 1 point! (119/180). 

Anyways I completed an Engineering apprenticeship with BMW Group UK in Oxford as a Maintenance Engineer back in 2012, I've continued to work there and built my experience within the automotive industry.

However whilst learning to fly at Cotswold's airfield myself and my Father where asked to look at repairing a Cessna 150 aerobat, wiring loom required replacing. After completing that job and talking with the inspection engineer to sign the aircraft off for flight. I found myself really enjoying this and wanted to look into swapping my career path, but at a bit of a loose.

I have a mortgage and taking time out to restudy in todays climate would leave me in a difficult position. I'm trying to reach out to local companies to gain some experience but other then this, I'm unsure of what my best options are, if any? 

Ideally I'm aiming for a B2 license similar to that which my father held in the RAF. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

break into aviation Career change

Other discussions going on within Welcome to the Aviation Career Hub!

Tacoma and Seattle Where can I store my cargo near the ports of Tacom...
2  162 2 weeks ago
2 162 2 weeks ago by Acacia Hary
Anyone Familiar With Berry Avi... Hey All, I'm an American been living in Canada for...
1  223 2 weeks ago
1 223 2 weeks ago by Acacia Hary
Games Хочу рассказать вам о своей историей успеха, если...
0  207 -
0 207 -
Welcome to the Aviation Career... After the anticipated arrival of Aviation Career H...
4  372 4 months ago
4 372 4 months ago by fmg designer
What would you like to see? Let us know which airlines you want to hear from,...
0  447 -
0 447 -

Other topics for Miscellaneous

Travel Agents and Travel Reps For all you travel industry people!
11  42.72k 3 weeks ago
11 42.72k 3 weeks ago by Jimmy Anna
Cabin Crew Jobs Info on our new jobs service
74  275.42k 6 days ago
74 275.42k 6 days ago by Avery54
Anything else! Whatever takes your fancy!
8  18.84k 2 days ago
8 18.84k 2 days ago by simon jones
Ground Handling Forum For all those who stay on terra firma
10  123.53k 1 month ago
10 123.53k 1 month ago by Nadia Kamal
Fun Stuff! Jokes and funny stories from the cabin!!
10  55.64k 2 weeks ago
10 55.64k 2 weeks ago by Jessica Able