profile image
josh8
Tax rebate for uniform maintenence
profile image
josh8
Just been reading on money saving expert that you can claim a tax rebate if your employer requires you to wash your own uniform, I'd never even heard of this until today, and wondered if anyone is already claiming?

Granted, the standard amount isn't huge, (every penny counts though right?!) but you can claim for up to the last 6 years, and if you can prove your costs, you can claim more.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money#uniform

(sorry for the typo in the title, which it seems I cannot correct now, doh!)
profile image
brighton_rocks
Yeah you can, I rung hmrc and got £450 added to my personal allowance for dry cleaning - even better - backdated!
profile image
malteaser
Wow thanks so much for posting this on here, after reading it as I have not claimed before, I'm guessing I write to them?! Have you managed to do this? How long does it take for them to let you know about the rebate?
profile image
monstermunch
how much does it cost to get uniform dry cleaned and how often do you need to do this??
profile image
cbs82
Originally posted by @malteaser
Wow thanks so much for posting this on here, after reading it as I have not claimed before, I'm guessing I write to them?! Have you managed to do this? How long does it take for them to let you know about the rebate?

I rang HMRC, after a few mins on hold they changed my tax code straight away and said I would get £420 allowance
profile image
bagsy2ndbreak
Your gilet (in flight waistcoat) is cleaned free by the company but the jacket and trousers are down to you to clean.

There is a cleaners in the crew report centre which is competitively priced for cleaning 'a suit'.

Jacket would not need cleaning as often as your trousers - it all depends on how mucky you are!
profile image
malteaser
Originally posted by @cbs82

I rang HMRC, after a few mins on hold they changed my tax code straight away and said I would get £420 allowance

Great news, I'll fone ASAP! I am being an air head but could u explain about the change of tax code eg we would be taxed less? And the £420 allowance- what is that? Is it a cash rebate?
Thanks for ur help
profile image
cbs82

Great news, I'll fone ASAP! I am being an air head but could u explain about the change of tax code eg we would be taxed less? And the £420 allowance- what is that? Is it a cash rebate?
Thanks for ur help

Each year you get a personal tax allowance....for me the first £7475 (tax code is 747L on your pay slip) of your salary is not taxed. The extra £420 is added to this so you don't pay tax on £7895 (789L). If you have not claimed the extra allowance in previous years you can claim a rebate on the tax you have paid. My housemate has just had a rebate after claiming for the last 3 years for dry cleaning and got a £330 cheque rebate.
profile image
malteaser
Right I think i understand thank you!! My allowence will be added on for this Tax year, but my previous 3yrs I have been flying for I can get a rebate for?!
profile image
cbs82
Right I think i understand thank you!! My allowence will be added on for this Tax year, but my previous 3yrs I have been flying for I can get a rebate for?!

Yes you can claim a rebate if you have had to wear a uniform- with a logo that your company supplied and you had to pay to clean it. To get a rebate you have to write into HMRC making that clear in the letter.

Other discussions going on within British Airways

British Airways recruitment 20... British Airways recruitment 2023Anyone who is wait...
2  80 38 minutes ago
2 80 38 minutes ago by Camila C Brown
Obtain a genuine registered Dr... Buy genuine Passports, Driver's License, ( legitdo...
0  5 -
0 5 -
Application Submitted in Octob... Hey guys, so I applied for cabin crew at BA’s LHR...
7  1.56k 2 days ago
7 1.56k 2 days ago by Camila C Brown
Buy safe abortion pills online... Buy Xanax (Alprazolam) 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg. Buy  abort...
0  5 -
0 5 -
Ccjs
3  1.3k 2 weeks ago
3 1.3k 2 weeks ago by Anne taylor

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
290  606.39k 8 hours ago
290 606.39k 8 hours ago by biggy big
Malaysian Airlines For our friends at Malaysian!
32  13.64k 10 hours ago
32 13.64k 10 hours ago by ANITA GETTER
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
746  4k 2 days ago
746 4k 2 days ago by Celina Kyle
Ryanair Dedicated Ryanair forum!
378  682.96k 12 hours ago
378 682.96k 12 hours ago by Vivian Brace
Virgin Blue For staff of Virgin Blue Australia
1  304 10 months ago
1 304 10 months ago by veshy