6 months ago
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
This role is intended to interpret the customer's technical inquiry and to design the most cost effective overall solution for an HVDC installation utilizing the GE power electronic solutions, with the objective of minimizing the total cost, and to specify the main (high-value) items of bought-out equipment. The successful candidate will be involved in the development and industrialization of solutions tools and processes.
Main Circuit Design
The goal of the Main Circuit design is to come up with a scheme design that meets the customer's requirements, using a combination of GE products and externally sourced main plant equipment, in an optimised and cost-effective manner.
Creation of project-specific, high economic value, equipment specifications for equipment such as power transformers, instrument transformers, reactors, capacitors, surge arresters etc.
Design of AC, DC, High Frequency harmonic filters and screening. Calculations of filter performance and rating. Creation of project-specific equipment specifications for filter reactors/capacitors/resistors.
Insulation Coordination Studies
Determination (by simulation) of temporary and transient overvoltage stresses on equipment and surge arrester energy ratings.
Reliability and Availability Studies
Creation of overall reliability and availability models for projects and reporting to the client.
Calculation of overall project losses and reporting to the client.
Development and Industrialisation
Develop and industrialise solutions tools and processes associated with the engineering activities identified above.
Review and record design processes and develop new or improved processes.
• Customers determine our success
• Stay lean to go fast
• Learn and adapt to win
• Empower and inspire each other
• Deliver results in an uncertain world
Health and Safety
• Identify and evaluate EHS risks in own area and implement practical measures.
• Set the example by demonstrating the proper acts and actively observe work conditions and behaviours, giving constructive feedback and celebrating EHS effective prevention.
• Actively participate in defining corrective actions when work is unsafe or when an uncontrolled risk is observed.
• Routinely observe routines and behaviours of others and provide immediate feedback regarding unsafe behaviour and celebrates achievements or safe behaviours.
• Actively and routinely promote the identification of hazards and near misses to their team/s.
• Take part in the development and deployment of engineering processes, working methods and best practices within the Department.
• Enforce engineering discipline and set processes across all work tasks and adherence to company policies, quality procedures and work instructions (e.g. through training, technical reviews).
• Report or resolve any non-conformance's in a timely manner.
Engineering degree including Power Systems and Power Electronics subjects (minimum 2:1), with Considerable experience in the Design and Implementation of HVDC Schemes or equivalent knowledge & experience
A higher degree in Power Systems or equivalent is preferable or equivalent knowledge & experience.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
Awareness to Working level on the relevant skills of Main Circuit design, principles of reactive power design, filter design, power quality issues, insulation co-ordination and main equipment characteristics for HVDC.
• Circuit Analysis
• Power control
• Reactive Power design
• Power System modelling and techniques
• EMC assessment and mitigation
• HV Equipment (Transformers, Capacitors, Reactors, Switchgear, Instrument, Surge Arresters,...)
• HVDC Valves and their control systems.
A thorough understanding of the use of computer mathematical and simulation tools as applied to the design of the aforementioned activities
• EMT Software (PSCAD, EMTP-RV, ATP,...)
• Power Network Analysis (PSS/E, DigSilent, Eurostag,...)
• ECAD (Engineering Base, AutoCAD Electrical,...)
• Matlab & Simulink
• Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
• Able to work to deadlines with high quality, sense of urgency and delivery
• Good technical communication skills
• Self-motivating, proactive and results driven approach
• Strong problem-solving and root cause identification skills
• Precise documentation
• Ability to be a team player and to work independently
• "Professional" approach to engineering delivery
• Right first time culture & attitude
Locations: United Kingdom; Stafford
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.