4 months ago
Senior Buyer (Contract)
Ampthill - Bedfordshire
Specific Job Description
This role is part of the overall Supply Chain organisation of about 40 people. It focusses on support for vehicles programmes and Ajax in particular and undertakes activity across multiple categories for low complexity goods e.g. build to print, COTs or MOTs.
* Undertaking the procurement process including Invitations to Tender, Terms and Condition negotiation, bid evaluation, and award of contract.
* Negotiating with suppliers to ensure best-value for is achieved.
* Achieving the successful delivery of procurement based sub-contracts.
* Providing expertise, support, direction, advice, and guidance to internal customers on procurement.
* Develop and maintain stakeholder relationships with key internal and external business contacts; to achieve mutual benefit.
* Ensuring procurement activities are compliant with internal/legislative procedures, and that risks of impropriety are minimised.
* Ensure goods and services are suitably specified, supplier performance is satisfactory, buying power is exploited, and administration costs are minimised.
* Providing the key interface between client and suppliers to ensure that communication is effectively managed and that issues and risks are fully understood and managed.
* Supporting internal and external reviews on supplier performance as required.
* Acting as the commercial subject matter expert for their subcontracts/suppliers.
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
We are looking for talented individuals with demonstrable experience in delivering complex, high value, critical components and services from suppliers. In return, we can offer an exciting and challenging career path. Please note that the LMUK Ampthill working pattern is a 9 day fortnight with the site closed every second Friday.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
* Mechanical (fabrications/machined items) buying experience
* Excellent understanding of procurement best practice
* Excellent commercial skills with the ability to analyse and negotiate best-value agreements
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively manage stakeholders’ expectations at a variety of levels
* Data literate with strong analytical skills
* Highly motivated, determined, and committed individual with a proven record of achieving cost saving targets/objectives
* Individual who thrives on challenges, and has experience working within a fast paced procurement function
* Direct experience of the operational control of suppliers
* Proven contract management skills
* Understanding of related disciplines/departments within a design and manufacturing environment
* Ability to work assignments without significant/appreciable direction
* Proficient in the use of MS Office applications
* Flexibility to travel as required
* Knowledge of the SAP ERP system
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Experience in the various phases of the product lifecycle from proposal capture, programme start-up, development, production, sustainment and end-of-life
* Flexibility to work at different levels of sub contract complexity (off the shelf, build to print, MOTs, and design to specification)
* Supply chain experience in the defence environment
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.