5 months ago
Mechanical Design Apprentice
Ampthill - Bedfordshire
Specific Job Description
LMUK Ampthill are looking for students studying A Level in Mathematics, Science or Technology, or Students undertaking a Diploma or Extended Diploma in Engineering and are looking for an opportunity to undertake a four year Technical Apprenticeship in Mechanical Design Engineering.
The apprenticeship will entail continued study at college, which will lead to the completion of the following qualifications:
* Level 3 NVQ in Engineering (started at college and completed in the workplace)
* HNC completed at end of second year (via day release)
* HND completed at end of third year (via day release)
* Potential option to start BSc in fourth year (via day release, subject to confirmation)
Further qualifications are fully encouraged by LMUK Ampthill post apprenticeship, with a robust mentoring programme firmly established on site. Professional accreditation is also proactively encouraged, with mentoring, support and guidance provided.
On site training at LMUK Ampthill will see the individual embedded into various projects and functional roles, to allow the full design lifecycle to be captured and employed. This will also provide the individual the opportunity to select where they would like to pursue a post apprenticeship career, allowing any specialised training or development to be undertaken.
Work place deployments consist of (but not limited to) the following Business Areas:
* Protection Systems
* Special Projects
* CAD Design Team
Typical duties could include:
* Mechanical prototyping and manufacture
* Designing Mechanical components and systems using CAD
* Ensuring that configuration management of designs are maintained
* Environmental testing of final product
* Attending offsite trials and demonstrations with the end user
* Capturing design updates and progressing through the change process
Phase 1, Two year day release at college to gain HNC, supported by business area deployment in various departments to obtain a broad spectrum of experience.
Phase 2, One year day release at college to gain HND, supported by focused business area deployment.
Phase 3, Up to two years day release (1 year as an apprentice/1 year as an engineer following completion of 4 year scheme), at a local university, to gain a recognised Mechanical related degree supported by specialised business area deployment.
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
Lockheed Martin (UK) Ampthill is a rapidly changing, dynamic part of the Lockheed Martin Corporation with both domestic and international customers. It consists of three business areas focussing on Vehicles, Special Projects and Mission Support, which provide a variety of products and services to the MoD and other customers including the Warrior CSP, Scout and support to the Land Environment Air Picture Provision capability.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
* A-Levels in relevant subject area (e.g. Mathematics, Science, Technology) or
* Engineering Level 3 (or BTEC equivalent e.g. diploma or extended diploma).
* IT proficient (ideally Microsoft Office)
* A strong communicator, both written and verbal.
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Engineering experience through education, especially practical (workshop) experience.
* Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience through education.
* Production of engineering drawings, especially in line with British Standard (BS) 8888
* Mechanical Engineering experience through education, especially with regard to British and International Standards.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.