Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
RAF Syerston is currently a satellite airfield of RAF College Cranwell and home to the RAF Central Gliding School (CGS), part of 2 Flying Training School. The operations at Syerston consist of a mixture of light aircraft and gliders with occasional fast jet and helicopter movements in support of OACTU exercises and pre-deployment training.
Serco currently have an exciting opportunity to join us as a Mechanical Aircraft Supervisor to supervise and manage the scheduled and corrective maintenance on Viking and Vigilant aircraft located at RAF Syerston airfield to generate and maintain serviceable aircraft to meet the flying requirement for No2 Flying Training School.
* The supervision and certification of scheduled and corrective maintenance on Viking and Vigilant aircraft
* The supervision of personnel
* The quality control of aircraft maintenance and associated components, ground equipment, service equipment and documentation
* Fault finding, problem solving and repair on mechanical systems
* When required act as the Line Supervisor or working on the line
* Taking responsibility for the completion of required maintenance tasks in the normal course of your shift duties
* The participation in development and training of apprentices and others
* Promote best practice and continual improvement in the organisation
* The role requires flexibility to work with any element of the Maintenance Team and at any Volunteer Gliding School within No 2 Flying Training School as determined by business need
* Be a Qualified Aircraft Airframe and/or Propulsion Mechanic/Technician
* Educated to at least City and Guilds Aeronautical Engineering Parts 1 and 2 or NVQ equivalent or be a British Glider Association Inspector
* Experience in civilian industry or Armed Forces in a relevant trade group.
* Possess good fault diagnosis skills, demonstrating a thorough understanding of aircraft mechanical systems
* Technically competent
* Hold full driving licence (Class B -maximum of 6 points).
* Have been previously employed within a Continuous Airworthiness Management Organisation (CAMO)
* Have working knowledge of military or civilian aircraft maintenance documentation and publications
* Instil a safety culture in others
* Have piston engine experience
* Be physically able to meet manual handling requirements of aircraft rigging and de-rigging tasks and general aircraft maintenance
* This post will be located at RAF Syerston and the individual must be prepared to travel away from RAF Syerston overnight on a regular basis
This job is offered subject to successfully obtaining SC Clearance. You must hold a British Passport or be eligible to hold one and have resided in the UK continuously for the last 5 years.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward.
Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team onas soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.