Role Title:Lead Design Engineer - Combustors & Casings
To lead a Design team carrying out challenging programmes of work on state of the art aircraft engines. The roles offer opportunities for developing skills, knowledge and experience in this exciting industry.
This involves leading Producibility tasks associated with Non Conformance Management applying design and engineering principles. The role is for an engineer who can lead a team and progress to Design Approver/ NCA in the Combustors & Casings area of Installations within a short span of time.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES (Please list in order of priority)
1. Lead delivery of component design work packages for combustor components, OGVs, CRICs etc.
2. Review inputs from team and estimate the effort for delivery of a work pack while meeting the detailed requirements associated with the progression of tasks through review processes.
3. Consolidate technical risks in projects and plan mitigation of risks
4. Ensure that all project stakeholders have the right information at the right time, through pro-active communication.
Be a process champion for non-conformance management (GQPs + design)
Review assessment of non-conformances on combustor components, OGVs, CRIC etc. assigned to the design team for:
Accurate and complete understanding of the non-conformance and its impact on the component
Completeness of the assessment including impact on adjacent components and assembly
Whether all required layups/ tolerance stacks etc. have been included and are correct
Whether all required specialist assessments are identified
On progression to delegated NCA level the individual is expected to be fully conversant with the relevant GQPs for non-conformance management
Contribute to development of best practices and productivity improvement
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS (ESSENTIAL TO CARRY OUT THIS ROLE)
Applicants should have a proven background in Aero engines at component, sub system, system and installation levels in commodities specific to the Combustors & Casings part of Installations SCU.
· Drive process adherence
· Drive technical competence and quality
· Understand complex geometries and understand the interfaces with other systems.
· Conduct tolerance analysis and assess tolerance stack ups.
· Generate design requirements documents'.
· Understand the meaning and relevance of analysis results apply this to a design strategy or specific solutions.
· Develop technical solutions, compliant with requirements.
Demonstrate a good understanding of gas turbine stress and vibration considerations.
Understanding of the behaviour and limitations of aerospace materials.
An understanding of component lifing strategies and limitations.
An understanding of manufacturing methods and processes.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS (DESIRABLE TO CARRY OUT THIS ROLE)
Hands on experience in the design of Aero gas turbine hot and cold section components / assemblies with considerable experience in design of combustor components, OGVs, CRICs etc.
Design signatory experience and preferably Non-Conformance Authority holder in previous engagement would be desirable. Specific experience in Combustors & Casings components is desired.
SKILLS/COMPETENCIES (ESSENTIAL TO CARRY OUT THIS ROLE)
Proven gas turbine design capabilities.
Good understanding of gas turbine functionality and operability of major components.
Appreciation of gas turbine, air and oil system design considerations.
Specific experience in Combustor & Casings components is desired.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high level of numeracy.
Experience with UG/NX tools.
Excellent Computer Literacy with experience of using Microsoft Office tools
Ability to communicate effectively with customers and a diverse staff population.
Ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality with proprietary information.
Must be confident, resourceful, highly organised and be able to work with little direct intervention
Self-starter able to work well within a large team
Ability to train and mentor new engineers once experienced.
Ability to contribute to knowledge sharing sessions.
Pro-active planning skills to support delivery