Randstad Engineering has an exciting opportunity for a Development Engineering Manager to join a Major OEM in the defence sector. This is a new role supporting our organisational re-structure and will be managing the following Disciplines of 30 + people in (Software, Hardware, Mechanical, Systems, Integration Test and Qualification). This reports to the Head of Business Development and Technology (BD&T), you will take ownership and lead the provision of design, development, support and technical management of special role equipment's, systems and capabilities. You will be accountable for ensuring that all technology development activities conform to the required design, safety, airworthiness and quality requirements as appropriate.
As a senior member BD&T team, you will be responsible for achieving BU growth plans, technical proposal submissions, new product introductions, and meeting our customer needs. You will support the development, and drive the implementation, of the BU's technology, product and service roadmaps to address emerging market and customer needs and will establish relationships with customers to support effective execution projects and service delivery and to inform future technology, product and service needs.
You be responsible for establishing a high-performing Development Engineering team, anticipating the teams' capacity and capability / skill needs, addressing them proactively to ensure that both business and team needs are met and will lead engineering excellence through processes, practices and continuous improvement to improve project execution and service delivery.
As a Development Engineering Manager your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- The ability to build, lead and operate within high performing teams
- Demonstrated track record of technical delivery and programme execution
- Strong technical knowledge of airborne radar, electronic warfare, surveillance and communications systems and associated technologies
- Good understanding of avionic, electrical and mechanical certification principles, regulatory requirements and compliance.
- Able to make decisions in complex and ambiguous situations and with incomplete data
- Ability to build excellent customer and internal relationships
- Strong technical report writing and presentation skills
- The ability to work within a large organisation in a matrix management structure
- Team oriented with proven advanced communication, change management and influencing skills.
- Self-motivated, confident and assertive.
- Demonstrates business acumen, understands customer and market dynamics, market environment and drivers
- Ability to obtain a SC Security Clearance.
Educational Vocational Qualifications - Minimum Engineering Degree specialising in technical discipline applicable to the skills above.
- Proven track record and significant experience at technical management level of radar, electronic warfare, surveillance and communications systems
- Extensive experience of regulatory requirements and procedures related to airborne systems is desirable
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Engineering Design Reviews.
- Proven ability to work and deliver, to time pressure and deadlines
- Demonstrated performance in team building, fostering organisational culture and delivering continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
- The demonstrated ability to motivate people and influence change in line with company organisational values
- Sound understanding of budgetary, accounting and financial tools and processes.
As a Development Engineering Manager your responsibilities will include:
- Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the SHE standards. Identify where the SHE Standards are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work identified.
- Apply countermeasures identified in applicable risk assessment to appointed operations/tasks.
- The Safety, Quality and Design Compliance of all activities within the Development Engineering team.
- Support the definition of the BD&T strategic and tactical objectives and support the Head of BD&T in accomplishing them.
- Understand key objectives and manage the performance of all key Mission System activities.
- Institute a continuous improvement culture, practice and process across the Development Engineering team.
- Preparation of Development Engineering teams annual budgets, quarterly forecasts.
- Lead engineering excellence, improving project execution, quality, and first pass yield and service delivery for the BU.
- Advise and propose mission system product roadmaps, technical roadmaps and engineering strategy.
- Responsible for developing current and future engineering competence and managing the allocated training budget to ensure the relevant levels of competence are achieved.
- Develop business proposals for PV projects aligned with the roadmaps in consultation with the BD team and the Office of Chief Engineers
- Implement the technology investment plan to deliver technology, product and service roadmaps.
- Implementation of LCM governance across the Development Engineering team.
- Ensure appropriate skills are available to meet the requirements of the BU and deploy resources to most valuable use.
- Identify and document as needed our intellectual property such as trade secrets, patents and controlled information.
- Manage the engineering talent pipeline to ensure future talent and skills are in place at the right time and place.
- Manage the workload pipeline that the Development Engineering team is optimally deployed to deliver business objectives.
- Support the Head of BD&T in the preparation of annual budgets, quarterly forecasts.
- Define the future skills matrix, training plan and recruitment for the Development Engineering team.
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business.