An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Commercial Manager to join BN Defence Limited. BN Defence Limited provides MAOS, DAOS, CFAOS, EASA pt 145 and Flight Test services and facilities to defence customers.
The Commercial Manager will be responsible for the financial management of projects, the recognition and development of business opportunities, the compilation of bids and the agreement and management of supplier contracts.
The commercial department understands and communicates to the business the commercial implications of contracting with customers and suppliers. It also ensures that pricing of the services offered is appropriate.
The role is based at our Lee-on-the-Solent premises.
Main tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Act as main point of contact and manage the contractual relationship with the customer.
- Working with the sales and marketing departments, seek out and develop opportunities for the defence business to grow.
- Exploit new customer opportunities for the benefit of the business and nurture new relationships.
- Oversee and approve customer quotations.
- Oversee and approve supplier purchase orders.
- Negotiate contractual agreements, changes and amendments.
- Build/maintain relationships with internal stakeholders within the Britten-Norman group companies.
- Build/maintain relationships with key suppliers and other external stakeholders.
- Ensure that all relevant internal and external stakeholders understand and adhere to BND's contractual obligations, paying particular attention to the financial implications of non-adherence.
- Monitor and report on supplier and customer contractual performance indicators.
- Monitor and report on internal performance indicators, such as quotation turnaround time and on time delivery.
- Produce and interpret management financial data for schedule and ad hoc meetings.
- Develop a successful charging mechanism for charge out rates.
- Produce and continuously monitor service price lists, revising them at least annually.
- Assist with the creation of company budgets.
- Oversee and monitor financial KPIs and other performance information identify ways in which the business can improve performance.
- Coordinate and collate post project/contract analysis and prepare reports accordingly.
- Prepare and document commercial operational processes and conduct risk assessments accordingly.
- Improve commercial procedures and policies, ensuring that they are within company and regulatory guidelines.
Key skills and attributes
- Strong commercial awareness
- Strong negotiator
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to details
- Good understanding of aviation industry and basic engineering processes
- Strong contractual knowledge
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Project or equivalent and of MS Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Skill in using a customer service database
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Ability to remain flexible to meet the wider demands of an expanding business
- Ambitious, self-motivated and hardworking
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
Minimum qualification requirements:
- 5 GCSE passes at grade C of above, with a minimum grade B in Maths and English
- 2 A Level grade C passes (minimum 160 UCAS points) or equivalent qualification(s)
- Experience in a previous commercial role
- Experience in supplier negotiations, including drafting agreements
- Experience in an ISO9001 accredited company
- Experience of working in a project based environment
- Experience of producing statistical analysis
- Experience in the Aviation or defence sector
- Experience working with UK Government agencies
Any offer of employment will be conditional, subject to the successful completion of the Company's Security Clearance process. This will be arranged by the Company on the candidate's behalf.
If you wish to apply for this role, please forward your CV and a covering letter demonstrating your suitability for the role.
Due to a high number of applicants we receive, unfortunately we are unable to respond to all applications. As such, if you have not received a response from us within 3 weeks of submitting your application, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
We reserve the right to withdraw this vacancy at any time if there is a high level of applications, we would recommend that you submit your application as early as possible.