Chief Technical Officer (CEO) - Composites
Based in Slovakia my client is looking for an experienced Chief Technical Officer. They provide design and production of advanced composites structures for the automotive, aerospace and Satcom industries. Their extensive in-house capabilities span from design/engineering, a large composites and metal tool-shop, composites manufacturing and painting (clear-coat and colour). The automotive components currently made are carbon-look, structural and Class-A body panels.
They are one of Europe's fastest growing composites companies with turnover growth of 1200% in the last five years. Their customers are most of Europe's premium automotive OEMs and leading aerospace interiors suppliers. Their 5-year plan sees an ambitious turnover growth to 100m EUR, partially driven by growth in aero structures as well as the high-volume, automated automotive structural market. To achieve the growth, we are setting-up a new 8,000m2 facility by mid 2018 in addition to their existing 13,000 m2 facility, esp. for aero structures.
They are seeking an experienced Chief Technical Officer with the following responsibilities:
* Lead the new product development department including design, CAD, CAM, tooling and jig production, prototype production and process development. The department currently has some 40 staff with the aim to grow to double within 4 years. Strengthen their design capability for complete product assemblies incl. structural analysis and simulation.
* Lead the process development and industrial engineering department which develops production processes and work instructions and pursues the lean production system design before product launch into series.
* Lead the series production manufacturing engineering department (main KPIs being scrap rate reduction and process improvements for norm time reduction)
* Lead the mid- and long-term equipment planning and specification process and liaise with strategic purchasing in relations to equipment procurement
* Liaise closely with the program managers to ensure on-time completion of program development milestones to budget
* Strong focus on training and development of the complete development team adopting best practices and where adequate develop cross-functionally skilled staff
* Responsible for product costing as part of the price quotation process
* Install systems and processes to professionalize and systemize the technical department in an integrated way with business development, project management, series production and finance. This includes selection and implementation of software.
* Foster the culture of can-do attitude and innovation thinking, in line with their philosophy
* Full responsibility for the P&L of the technical department
* Cooperate with, but not take functional responsibility of the R&D department which is to grow from its current 3 people to 20 full-time staff by end of 2017 and which focuses on development of automated manufacturing processes with the aim of significant reduction of cost and cycle times
Desired Skills and Experience
As a Chief Technical Officer you will have the following experience:
* A high focus is given to the cultural fit of the candidate to the company, its high-growth ambition, intention of international expansion and aim for strong personal and technical development of the development team members
* Strong leadership, ability to create cultural change, a strong motivator, dynamic
* Strong international network within engineering and composites technology
* A good combination between a structured systems manager (ideally with background in large corporations) and pragmatic composites practitioner (ideally with background in a small company with significant hands-on composites design and production experience)
* Technical experience is considered important, but it should not limit the candidate from seeing the future that does not yet exist. They are looking for an innovative composites technical director who can liaise effectively with the R&D director who is positioned directly below the CEO and who's responsibility is the development of automated future technology
* Minimum 5 years of experience as composites design engineer within aerospace or automotive
* Minimum 5 years of experience in managing engineering and prototype/series production in composites
* Experience with the design and development of composites production processes (prepreg/autoclave, (HP-RTM, prepreg press moulding)
* Ideally several years of experience of managing composites production to understand real-life composites production issues
* Significant experience with direct customer exposure on technical side
* Experience with destructive and non-destructive testing within aerospace an advantage
* Command of English language required. German language of advantage
Aeropeople are a leading dedicated Aerospace and Autosport technical services provider specialising in the recruitment of permanent and temporary staff. With our heritage firmly embedded in the Aerospace industry, we ensure the highest levels of expertise and commitment not only our customers but in placing our permanent & temporary staff. With our head office in Cambridge, support offices throughout the UK and offices in Germany, UAE and Italy, Aeropeople are best placed to service your career aspirations.