22 days ago
Advanced Radio Communication Lead Engineer
Airbus Group Corporate Functions Munich
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Airbus Chief Technology Office (CTO) is looking for an Advanced Radio Communication Lead Engineer to join the Connectivity project team.
Our ambition is to disrupt the status quo in aviation communications by developing multi-modal wireless connectivity for aircraft. By developing mesh networking between aircraft, providing high-speed satellite and terrestrial connections, and inventing novel antenna concepts, we will enable new business models, improve aircraft operations, and enhance passenger flight experience.
Whereas today most aviation communications is between an aircraft and ground based systems, our vision of future aviation requires more interaction between aircraft and a large increase in coordinated communications. To do this, we need to advance the communications technology and communication services between the aircraft. Your role will be to move us from a world where aircraft are interconnected with rich and scalable network services.
As Advanced Radio Communication Lead Engineer:
* You will be responsible for advanced radio technology needed by this vision.
* You will contribute to integrate the different radio means within a standard radio slice allowing waveform upgrade.
This position reporting to our R&T subsidiary Airbus Exo Alpha SAS / GmbH could be based in Toulouse, France; Hamburg or Munich, Germany; Filton, UK for a Project Based Contract that will last for the duration of the Connected Fleet programme (2/3 years).
Tasks & accountabilities
Specific responsibilities of the position are to:
* Development of communication system technologies in support of the Connected Fleet Demonstrator.
* Development of flexible radio systems. By this we mean an architecture to support rapid addition, evolution and certification of new communication technologies. This architecture will support software defined radio technology, flexible radio resource management, communication routing in multi-level security domains.
* Evaluate antenna systems for air to air and air to satellite use.
* Development of trade studies to support radio architecture decisions including make-buy analysis
* Coordination of external partners to supply major radio subsystem hardware and software as well as radio system analysis efforts.
* Sourcing and integration of radio technology for use inside aircraft, including selection and management of Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs).
* Development of test and documentation plans for new radio systems.
* Development of airframe integration plans for radio and antenna systems.
Your Boarding Pass
* Extensive experience with Advanced Radio Technologies including experience with Satellite Communication Terminal Technologies.
* Experience with Advanced Radio System Architectures to support variable bandwidth and frequency allocations in the microwave and millimeter wave regimes.
* Experience with analyzing and developing radio technology for aerospace use.
* Experience developing comprehensive specifications and requirements for radio systems.
* Demonstrated experience managing technical program schedules and budget.
* Experience managing external contractors required.
* Ability to travel and coordinate activities among Airbus locations.
* Ability to take charge and operate with minimum supervision and direction.
* Ability to lead by influence rather than authority.
* Ability to balance contributions from internal and external stakeholders.